Author Topic: why hasn't my camellia got any buds?  (Read 3817 times)

janebb

• Quarter Acre
why hasn't my camellia got any buds?
« on: March 20, 2006, 17:31:07 »
My camellia in a pot is looking very healthy but hasn't got any buds this year.  It has always flowered really well in the past.

The only thing I did differently last year was giving it some fertiliser for acid loving plants.  In the past I haven't bothered Could it be that because of this I have got lovely lust foliage at the cost of no flowers?  Or is there some other reason?

How are everyone else's camellias coming along?

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: why hasn't my camellia got any buds?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 17:36:50 »
Hi Jane, the frost got one of mine my lovely big beauty. But the 2 smaller ones that i kept in the cold greenhouse have got lots of buds on, they have been outside now for a month, but still ok. Have you tried to google  CAMELLIAS, maybe that could help you. ;D ;D      Rosebud.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 17:55:05 »
The usual reason for this is shortage of water during the summer. As it is in a pot was did it perhaps get less water than usual last summer?

Deeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 18:53:30 »
That would be my answer too beejay

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 19:44:56 »
My beeautiful camellia (in a pot)  has buds but think its a gonner because the leaves have turned brown and dropping off.   I think it is the only casualty of the long cold winter even although it has been inside in our conservatory. 
 :'( :'( :'(

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 20:00:50 »
I am still looking after a large Camellia for one of my daughters. (she is in rented property and must keep garden as it is!!!) Anyhow last year I went out one morning and six lovely buds had just dropped to the ground (it is in a big pot) I had fed it etc.
A member on here kindly advised me to NEVER let it dry out, not even for one day.I have been very good keeping an eye on it, at the moment it has at least 60 buds on it and looks very healthy, shiny deep green leaves. (kids asked me if I had polished the  leaves).Only thing I am worried about is if the frost got to the buds, I meant to cover it with fleece but didn't get round to it.. Fingers crossed.

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 15:59:24 »
The only other option is that squirrels have been stealing the flower buds and you've not noticed them doing it.. Camellia buds seem to be a delicacy among squirrels here, mumble mumble.

Melanie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal