Author Topic: OVEN GLOVES  (Read 9354 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
OVEN GLOVES
« on: March 19, 2006, 18:09:12 »
I make no apology for printing this - it just might save one of my friends from something nasty.

Looking at the picture - & knowing that they mean F not C!! - & forgetting, anyway, what your baking temperature normally is in F - would you not assume that, wearing these gloves,  you can take a baking dish out of a baking oven?

Well, DON'T!!

Fortunately I have hands like asbestos, but I so nearly had a disaster with the big AGA pan today. Fortunately the roast veg were only oiled, rather than in oil, & I just managed to hold it until I could reach safety.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 19:37:40 by tim »

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: OVEN GLOVES
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 19:17:44 »
So glad you've posted this tim. I bought a pair not long ago and have stuffed them in a drawer. They look horrible after their first wash, make the chef look like Marcel Marceau, and don't save your hands.
They were expensive too, from Lakeland - in fact I might bimble along and try to get the money back. Grrr.
 ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 19:19:26 by supersprout »

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 19:38:39 »
I am horrified to hear this, and believe these gloves should be withdrawn. I suspect they are supplied from the far east, but cannot verify that. However there appear to be similar gloves advertised on the link below

http://www.tradekey.com/selloffer_listall/uid/111301/Shanghai-Paiheng-Trade-Development-Co-Ltd.htm

In one of my previous lives, I used to verify that products sold in the EC were fit for use, and can state quite openly that these gloves are not fit for use on products involving liquid heat eg fat or oil, as the material will 'wick' the liquids straight onto the skin. The gloves should have a non absorbent layer on the outside, which these clearly don't. I have had to provide advice on protective gloves for handling liquid nitrogen, so can speak with some direct experience.

A word with Trading Standards should hopefully resolve the problem.

Under consumer law I believe you should also be entitled to a refund ...
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 19:41:15 by Curry »
The impossible is just a journey away ...

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 19:45:50 »
Yes, Curry -  I'm aware of the dangers of heat + moisture - today it was totally dry.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 06:20:11 by tim »

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 20:14:28 »
True Tim, I feel though that these gloves are not fit for purpose, and hence are being falsely advertised, trade descriptions etc. As supersprout said, they are not cheap from Lakeland.

CityChick

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 07:44:47 »
Thanks for posting your experiences of these.  I had been impressed by the advertising and was thinking of buying some, but now I know better...

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 08:27:36 »
Interestingly (?) I see that Lakeland, also, claim "350C - much hotter than your oven". Our oven, at the time, was 307F!!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 10:29:53 »
Their claim there is correct Tim, Kevlar will withstand the temperatures with no problem, it is the woven nature which is the problem.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 15:24:46 »
I took my gloves back to Lakeland where they were exchanged with no fuss. I did mention the problem Tim had, and they promised to pass the info to their buyer. Tim, that nudge just earned me £17 credit :o :o at Lakeland. OU a drink for that!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 16:48:25 »
They're a great firm - we've known them since they used the old railway station in Windermere to make plastic bags!!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 17:43:29 »
Tim thank you for that, worthwhile.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 18:23:18 »
Dear Heavens, Tim, what a lucky escape! and thank you very much indeed for alerting us.

Sprout, you do indeed owe Tim a drink ;D.....and Tim, you can expect me round once the delivery's been made :P

My very very worst microwave accident (not the recent pearl barley soup do ::)) was five years ago when again I tripped when taking something out..the boiling liquid hit a socked foot.....now THAT was a bad 2nd degree burn - can't imagine those sort of scald burns on hands :(

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 18:25:44 »
A disaster just waiting to happen - what are we going to do about you. Such a nice girl - appears quite normal!!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 23:02:05 »
Alishka. I consider you one of my friends on A4A so please take the following advice from an oldie!!!!!!!!!! Please, please  refrain from the bottle until you have completed all cooking for the day :o :o ::) ;D
The oven gloves Tim has posted about should surely be taken off the market.
Lorna.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 14:05:50 »
This is all quite amazing - we have a pair of those gloves (Lakeland) and have found them to be very good indeed. Then again, we've never had liquids go on them.  we bought them for barbecues in summer and they work well at turning stuff over with tongs without burning wrists.

I also use them for raiding the freezer - though Lakeland have just brought out some especially for that purpose, they carefully point out that the freezer ones are NOT suitable for ovens!

Make you wonder...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 20:15:58 »
Moonbells, just you send them back to Lakeland, like The Sprout, - and demand your £17 credit ;D  These things just aren't safe.

(An' mine's a white wine spritzer, please) ;D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2006, 13:25:33 »
Can't dispute your statement, Moonbell's but holding a barbecue fork is somewhat different to a heavy pan out of a baking oven?? Totally dry - as I said - but still painful. Did a further trial the day after, with a dry, empty pan, & could not hold that for more than 10 secs.

But the nice - typical of Lakeland - bit is that, after receiving a copy of my complaint to Scott's - who have not yet replied - they are sending me a pair of theirs to try. That is the Best of British I reckon?

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 20:12:21 »
wow!thanks for the info-we were looking at those as a future purchase..what we did buy from lakeland recently is the 2 person slow cooker-very economical(a lightbulbs worth of electric) and cooks like a dream!
what i'd really like is tims aga but til me boat comes in...the slow cooker will do nicely!
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 20:30:40 »
There is a piece of work needing to be done here in ensuring that the description of the article clearly matches its purpose - trade descriptions and all that jazz. The advert certainly suggests that the gloves can be used to remove food from very hot ovens - even if it should read C rather than F- and I am sure this will lead to litigation when someone gets badly burned.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 20:52:51 »
Thank you grawrc. May I refer back to earlier posts of mine in this thread. I am still of the same opinion, the gloves are unsuitable for the purpose claimed. However I am now beginning to see a means by which this has occurred.

The material Kevlar can be used for thermal protection, re protective clothing for fire fighters etc. However Kevlar is also used as a high strength material for mechanical protection, eg protective gloves for handling glass and sheet materials, leggings for chainsaw use etc. I accessed a far east site showing these protective gloves (available very cheaply) and because they are made of a material which also has claimed thermal properties, 'someone' has stated that these gloves can be used in for oven use, which it is apparent to me that they cannot. The gloves in question are extremely thin, and would barely keep hands warm on a cool day, nevermind the high temperatures referred to. Als othe woven nature is totally unsuitable for liquid use as it would be 'wicked' onto the skin. I am uncertain of the detail of UK law, but I believe the importer has a responsibility to ensure the goods meet the claimed standards. Anyone who has a pair of these gloves, could contact Trading Standards, who should be able to clarify the situation. Incidentally, I looked at a Lakeland catalogue on Tuesday, their gloves appear to be a different material and construction, and the pictures show the gloves to be far more substantial.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal