Author Topic: growing herbs from seed  (Read 1783 times)

gardening giraffe

• Quarter Acre
  • Don't you just love eating veggies!
growing herbs from seed
« on: March 07, 2006, 10:27:42 »
Hi
Any suggestions for  the best time to grow herbs from seed and do they need to germinate indoors or plant outside in spring?? would like to grow sage,basil,oregano,mint, and parsley.  :D
Lisa xx

Dan 2

• Acre
Re: growing herbs from seed
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 21:13:21 »
Hi! Im trying herbs from seed for the first time this yera. I would suggest sowing inside form about mid-march to April. I would start them off inside and then you can decide whethre to plant them out or not. If you do, remember that Basil isn't hardy and needs bringing inside over winter, I think the others should be fine. All the best and Happy Gardening,!  ;DDan

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 21:25:32 »
I grew mine in pots then transplanted to the lotty, then when they took off I dug clumps up and repotted them to be close at hand in our garden ::) :P ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 23:20:37 »
I have started sowing my herb seeds now.  I start basil off in the warm, and for me it is always a pain to get going!  Parsley I sow in pots, but also in a few weeks time under a cloche directly on the allotment.

Rox

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 12:30:57 »
I will start basil off this week in small pots on a sunny windowsill - their roots hate being disturbed so I use 3 " pots instead of seed trays. Ditto for parsley. I try and keep my parsley in cooler place indoors than basil  - I've noticed in the past that otherwise the seedlings get too leggy. As for mint, would suggest you start from a root cutting or by using a small plant to get you going - I tried mint one year from seed but never again - it took far too long, but more importantly, the seed wasn't true to species. One tip on basil - the warmer, the better! I gave both my coldframe and mini-greenhouses last year over to the production of basil - the extra warmth and control over excessive rainfall, etc... made them absolutely take off - consuquenlty, I made around 80 jars of pesto genovese (which we're still happily eating!) The intensity of flavour from the leaves was both devine and unprecedented i.e., my outdoor crops were never quite as pungent...

gardening giraffe

• Quarter Acre
  • Don't you just love eating veggies!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 18:34:41 »
I will yes, will definitely buy a mint plant from the garden centre and rosemary too i think, thanks  ;D
Lisa xx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal