Author Topic: LOOP THE LUPINS!  (Read 2062 times)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
LOOP THE LUPINS!
« on: March 12, 2006, 13:06:28 »
I picked some seeds from my lupins last year. Does anyone know when's the best time to plant them? I thought I'd start them off in the greenhouse to give them a sporting chance?

Thanks in advance

Loopy Trixie  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Re: LOOP THE LUPINS!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 13:15:30 »
According to my seed packet anytime from January to March. Hurry

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 13:24:04 »
I'm hurrying, I'm hurrying  ;D

Thanks mikeB!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 21:30:34 »
'bout now trixie!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 21:38:08 »
Given current weather conditions I'd give yourself an extension to April  ;)

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 11:05:19 »
Arn't Lupins fabulous! Sarah Raven once suggested cutting the flower heads off this year in their first as this will stimulate strong root growth rather than most of the energy going in to produce flowers. In the second year you will be bowled over by much, much larger flower heads and very strong planst. It will be quite upsetting probabally and it seem cruel I know taking the heads off but in the long term it'll be better! I hope they gorw well for you. I did the baove two years ago with my Lupins and last year they were fabulous with some heads reaching abou two feet'ish long!  ;D Happy growing!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 11:31:57 »
Dan, i have grown Lupins for this year and i am going to try and be strong ;D and do as you say i really really like Lupns so i will try my hardest :'( to cut the flowers
before they open . Thanks for that, any good tips for keeping the so****g slugs away i have tried everything I can think of, i am growing the new lot in pots this year otherwise they are there one day and gone the next :'(.  Cheers Rosebud.

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 11:46:37 »
Well, Im not sure to quite hounest, if they're growing in pots then you could use some of that copper tape stuff that gives the slug a shock. See below for a supplier:

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=552

I've never had any problem with slugs and my Lupins, don't know why! Not complaining though! For the ones in the ground you could use grit, egg shells and the beer trap things- you may well have done these though as you said you've tried everything! Another thing to do is to place half and orange or grapefruit ideally around as the slugs will love these. In the morning you can come and pick them up with all the slugs on and dispose of them however you will, Somebody get the salt- quick...   ;D

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 15:55:44 »
When I was a kid I used to call them 'Umbrella Plants'  ;D They are nice ... very 'cottage garden'!

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2006, 16:12:39 »
according to my Flower Gardening friend the best time to plant any hardy flower seed is ... when the plant produces it. She can be seen merrily sprinkling in the Autumn, and can't be seen for the herbaceous border in the summer  :D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2006, 19:50:43 »
I have a packet of Mr Fothergills Russell Lupin Mixed seeds and it gives the planting times as follows:

Sow May to July in a seed bed or flowering position.....  or  indoors April to June in a cold frame or greenhouse.

It's interesting that Mike B's seed packet shows January to March.   :-\

I suppose it doesn't matter too much though as they won't flower until next year.
 ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal