Author Topic: Starting off leeks  (Read 10000 times)

Alimo

• Acre
Re: Starting off leeks
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 16:00:48 »
Alimo looks frantically at seed box -  :o no leeks !!!! oh oh - this means I have to buy some more seed, and I simply can not come away with just one packet !

Alison

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 16:27:14 »
There was a thread a while ago stating that Musselburg (excuse spelling) had problems rotting in the core when over wintered.  As a result I haven't bought any musselburgh seed. 

Can anyone say if they've had any problems along these lines? Or if you didn't have problems? What were your practices to avoid the rot etc?  (I feel like I'm setting an exam paper!) :-[

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2006, 16:47:31 »
I had no problems with Musselburgh this winter. Just got 6 more to pull then that's it .

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2006, 17:07:35 »
Snap periwinkle, I'm down to the last 7 mussles now :'(

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2006, 14:17:13 »
Careful, you'll pull a mussel.

Bwahh haah hah boom boom.

Sorry. I'll get me coat.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

the wizards sleeve

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2006, 20:33:25 »
only 3 left for me but seed is sown and it,s on it,s way ;D

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2006, 20:53:07 »
I had a good crop of mussleburgh this year no problems with rot.  Leeks are one of the crops that i dont worry that much about.  I sow them quite thickly into a large pot and they stay in it until time to transplant then they go into dibbed holes, watered and pretty much left.  They have survived the cold spell perfectly well.  love leeks me. :)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2006, 21:26:28 »
I had some rust but no rot. Still eating them (out the freezer though)

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2006, 14:00:31 »
Is there any reason why I shouldn't put an individual seed (or maybe two) into each cell of a tray of 24 cells?.....was thinking that if I did it this way...they'd have more space, the roots wont get tangled and it would save me having to transfer to a bigger tray before planting out.

Once they've grown to a reasonable size and the time is right, I'll just be able to take each one and plant out in the ground....or isn't this the right way to do it?

I've not grown leeks before - have bought Musselburgh. 24 plants will definitely be enough for me!

What do you think please....H.P.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2006, 14:06:08 »
I did that last year but I only got one tray up to a decent size.  I have gone for the chuck 'em all in together method so I get more out the other end.  Somebody said something about them liking their soild quite deep too.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2006, 14:28:23 »
Sorry to have to ask another question about the leek seed...I've just this minute sown a small trayful (about 2 1/2" deep - the tray I mean, not sown the seed that deep ;)) hope that's deep enough - it's the average size of seed trays I think!.....firmed the compost down first then covered slightly with more compost & watered well.

I've got access to an unheated greenhouse (not mine) which is a couple of hundred yards away from me and wonder if.....once I've put the tray out there (presumably uncovered as they're hardier) will I have to water them anymore on a regular basis??

sorry if question seems stupid but not grown them before & not used to growing things from seed! (unless it's straight in the ground)

alternatively, can I leave this seed tray out on my small patio area & if so, will it need covering?

Thanks - H.P.

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2006, 14:42:32 »
Hot Potato, there is no advantage to sowing leeks in cells as most people want them for eating purposes not for showing so just sow them about 1/4 inch deep in a seed tray, which now by your other posting that I see you have done, it will be an advantage to start them of in the unheated greenhouse, better in a propagator if you had one,as to the question of leaving them uncovered I would be very tempted to cover the tray with a piece of glass or polythene until they have germinated.
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

ann hunter

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2006, 14:50:35 »
Hate to put a damper on things, but has anyone been affected (their leeks that is) by the allium fly. Our allotments were badly affected last year and crops were badly damaged. It seems to come in two waves. I have heard that fleecing might help. but otherwise dont quite know what is best.
when the going gets tough..........

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2006, 14:56:38 »
oh dear - seem to have 'lost' the message I thought I'd just sent:'(

Thank you Richard - decided not to sow in cells (as advised) and yes, seeds are now in one of those little propagator thingys from Wilko's...(seed tray with lid) so I can 'put a lid on it'  ;)

will put them in the greenhouse as advised - thanks.

H.P.

marjrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2006, 10:17:00 »
This is how my leeks are looking now, had them outside in a coldframe, they still look like blades of grass to me!
Do they look ok to all you experienced leek growers please?

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2006, 10:57:09 »
oops! planted mine in florists buckets. theyre doing fine but what a waste of compost!!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2006, 11:02:29 »
Don't worry weedbusta, when you plant out the leeks, you can recycle the compost, I do this all the time ...

Marjrie, my leeks have not even appeared yet, and they are very slow growing anyway. I would not expect them to be pencil size until about june ... planting out permanently anytime after that - in my case into cleared new potato beds in july.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2006, 11:04:45 by Curry »
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2006, 13:04:50 »
Those are fine; mine aren't even in yet.

marjrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2006, 13:06:48 »
Those are fine; mine aren't even in yet.

Thank you, very new to this so not sure how they should look.  :)

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2006, 19:52:55 »
there are THREE types of leek.     Earlies, mid-season and lates.

What about pot leeks ???

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal