Author Topic: Smoky heaters!!  (Read 2955 times)

SteveLouise

Smoky heaters!!
« on: March 22, 2006, 11:49:40 »
Just bought some 'high quality(!!!!)' paraffin for my greenhouse heater from Focus....... they are selling it instead of branded 'Parasene'

It produced so much soot that the soot falling off the grill over the flame extinguished it....... and I now have a 'blackhouse' rather than a greenhouse.....!!

Still ... on the plus side it's probably done a pretty good job at fumigating !!

Anyone know where I can buy decent non-smoky paraffin - or do I need to find Parasene again at a agarden centre somewhere.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: Smoky heaters!!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 12:41:45 »
It may not be the fuel, make sure you trim the wick correctly to get a clean flame.

This is the main reason I gave up on parafin and switched to electric, far easier and cleaner.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

SteveLouise

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 14:34:59 »
read this in another post - probably by you ? .....its a brand new out of the packet wick ...... smoked from first use and still was until I blew it out !!!

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 16:12:48 »
I had exactly the same problem SteveLouise :( My tomatoes absolutely hated it and the fumes were disgusting, stuck to my clothes every time I went in the greenhouse. Read one of Sandersj89 posts regarding electric heater....and after a lot of badgering convinced my husband to get one. ;D Works an absolute treat!! No looking back 8) 8)

Jennys Gran

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2006, 19:20:12 »
Hi SteveLouise

We purchased our parafin from a local Co op petrol station £2.99 for 4ltrs!

We have not experienced any smoke but are checking the wick regularly, we have had our heater on for two weeks 24/7 and have only had to trim the wick once.

We also do not have any problem with the fumes, if your flame is smoky it could be too high and may require turning down until the black smoke at the top of the flame has gone.  Hope this helps.

Jennys Gran

SteveLouise

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 09:56:21 »
Thanks for your replys!! Will definitely try with a lower flame but dont think that's the issue - thanks again !

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal