Author Topic: Foxes  (Read 1715 times)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Foxes
« on: March 16, 2006, 15:44:17 »
Many people on my site are of the opinion that foxes are allotment vermin, and should be exterminated by whatever means. I am confused by this attitude because I thought foxes were essentially carnivorous, and only disturb plants when digging for slugs (or perhaps worms). So apart from the little piles of poop which they very cleverly leave right in the middle of my path, I notice little disturbance from foxes other that the odd scratch hole, and perhaps a reduced population of slugs.
Add to that, I will admit to thinking they are rather cute, especially the cubs (  :) ).

Do any other members have problems or experiences with foxes?
The impossible is just a journey away ...

delboy

• Acre
Re: Foxes
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 18:03:37 »
We have several families of foxes living somewhere in the wilderness next to our site.
Cannot say they have ever damaged my veg, as that seems more down to squirrels digging holes and burying acorns, and human vermin breaking into sheds and also nicking what they fancy to eat!
Every now and again the young ones come out and play while I am digging or whatever, and don't seem overbothered by me, so Im not by them.
Strange thing about their s**t though, like you, I always seem to find it right in my way!
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 18:14:43 »
I'll let you know as our allotment site was overgrown and they live down there. If they start digging up my veg I will not be very impressed. They are very shy and ran off with me around.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 20:32:55 »
Before an epidemic of mange I used to see foxes on my plot regularly; they'd walk past me ten feet away. One year they raised cubs on a neighbouring plot, but no damage was ever done to crops that I know of. But you're right, there will always be those who see anything which moves and isn't a pet as a 'pest'.

Diesel

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 11:33:35 »
I had a family living in one of my sheds last year.Aside from the muddy footprints left on the netting over my onions   :D I had no problems with them.
Whilst they were around they kept pigeons and rabits away from the plot area and I think done more good than harm.

http://www.octagon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fox1.jpg

http://www.octagon.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fox2.jpg

I havent resized these for the web but this is one of the cubs sunning itself.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal