Author Topic: New website query!  (Read 3678 times)

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
New website query!
« on: March 16, 2006, 00:00:31 »
Hi there!! I have completed my website (see below for assistance gratefully received) but have another question!!

How do I get my website to be recognised by search engines like Google and Yahoo etc? I included some meta tags but no joy when I Google my site!!

All ideas appreciated!! Thanks again!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
Re: New website query!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 16:26:03 »
Hi Lordy

What is there down below to see and assist with ? I'm confused  ???

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 17:13:32 »
Hi Lordy

What is there down below to see and assist with ? I'm confused  ???

;D ;D ;D

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 17:17:40 »
Steve you've forgotten to put the address. ;D ::)
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 22:32:42 »
have a look here

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,57/topic,17039.0

remember that it may take a little while before your site shows up in google, our various websites took between just a few days and up to 6 weeks before we were found on google.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 12:45:06 »
Thanks Jesse. I hope that within the next few weeks my site will be picked up by Google and Yahoo, which would be great!!

Heldi, I was referring to my initial thread about websites, so 'below' meant further down the list of threads! Erm ... where were you looking? ;)

Val, I have not posted the link here as it is a business website and I was not sure that I should be self-publicising! I am going self-employed as a gardener!! Woohoo!! :)

Thanks again!

Steve

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 14:25:59 »
good luck steve! :)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 17:33:15 »
Steve pm me your address then and I'll put it up on other sites, probably not allowed but I was never one to conform ;D
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 00:49:42 »
Thanks Val!! That would be so kind. Take care! Steve

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 13:02:39 »
Good luck with your new venture Steve.  Looking forward to seeing your new website before too long.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 13:24:36 »
Thanks busy_lizzie! I have gone all shy now! Bizarre ... you build a site to advertise and then get shy when people want to see it! As an etiquette thing, is it ok to put your website in your profile as a signature? I don't want to ram it down anyone's throat!

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2006, 13:43:10 »
Steve,

So long as your new website is not a direct 'competitor' to A4A, which it does not sound like it is, I see no reason why not, others do it!

A reciprocal link is always appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2006, 13:57:20 »
Thanks Dan! As you will see from the website ... it is just a basic site advertising my gardening services, so I don't think it will be a problem. Please let me know, and I will take it away at once. I think you know me well enough to know I am not here to be a pain!! :)

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2006, 14:43:01 »
Lord Steve:
with regard to your original question, I don't think you've any choice but to shove some pound notes in the direction of Google or Yahoo, and others. I've tried numerous free submissions but all I've ended up with is loads of spam. They do say the crawlers and spiders will find it eventually, if your metatags and that sort of stuff are impeccable, but none have found mine in six years.  :'( Looks a promising site anyway.  :)

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Diesel

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2006, 16:53:52 »
nice looking site I think, sometimes I feel people put too much content on but that looks nice and is easy to navigate.I would be careful with posting you email address in the format that you have, Spam bots will harvest this as they look for the ssssss@ssss.com formats and you could find yourself targeted.
good work  :)

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2006, 17:44:00 »
Thanks for the feedback and tips. Will see how I get on - if the spammers can find me, then perhaps the search engines can too! I have subscribed free to Google and Yahoo, but am reluctant to pay up. I will see how local advertising and word of mouth go and in a few weeks will reconsider. Thanks again. Steve.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2006, 18:20:02 »
Steve, it looks really good - congrats. Last year when we started our company I knew the area I was targetting & had flyers printed. We've NEVER had to leaflet drop ;D  From our original 3 clients, now have in excess of 20 whose gardens need regular maintenance + another 15(last year) who call on us for twice-a-year hedge cutting......all word of mouth or just being asked by people passing by if I could call in for a chat, and I've already had new peeps phoning.

Hope that yours takes off as successfully as ours.

Cheers! Lishka

Lord Steve

• Half Acre
    • Turn 'Em Green
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2006, 18:32:07 »
Thanks Lishka! It is always good to hear of successful business start-ups. This is the scary moment for me ... but as you say, a couple of customers and some recommendations and I should be off and running! Failing that ... gizza job!! Hehe :)

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2006, 02:29:51 »
It might sound silly but I've had more response from some printed small labels www.me-here.co.uk with the email address me@me-here.co.uk below it, which I stuck in the back door windows of the car. Perhaps a local signwriter could do a similar thing for your van. Just a thought.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2006, 09:36:08 »
Some builders put an A-board outside where they're working to advertise, you could do that if you aren't able to have a signwritten vehicle. You'll be surprised how much business you can drum up through neighbours, and word of mouth is brilliant for getting more business. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal