Author Topic: time is going way too fast !  (Read 1906 times)

gingerwelly

• Not So New ...
time is going way too fast !
« on: March 13, 2006, 18:05:42 »
As yet my allotment is sitting there ...a mini field, with brambles. Im a bit worried that  im running out of  time, its got wet again and cold .. missed the dry weather we have had as I have been doing my dissertation  :(   worried im not going to have the ground ready for the potatoes.... what should I be doing now ? (scared to start seed incase I dont get the ground ready for the plants )  ??? ??? ???

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Re: time is going way too fast !
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 18:13:39 »
no need to panic ...

I only got into the ground early July last year, just grew a few things on the patio until I got access to the plot!!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Chief

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 20:06:03 »
Hi Gingerwelly,
I am in the same situation as you I am trying to clear a derelict plot,but I am following the advice of all these good people and trying not to panic.
If it is of any help I am going to lay some cardboard down cover with well rotted horse manure & then cover this with black plastic sheeting and plant my potatoes through the sheeting.I spotted this idea on the television and the guy there used this method on an overgrown plot he had rented and he stated that he did not believe in digging.In a later programme it showed you the potatoes that he had grown & it appeared to be a success to me.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 09:21:18 »
We got our allotment in Feb last year, didn't have any decent compost, manure etc to dig in so just used pelleted chicken manure as we went along. Managed to get a decent lot of potatoes, leeks, sweetcorn & beans. We were lucky that most of the area had been covered in black plastic for over a year & we planted courgettes through the plastic without even looking underneath & still got a good crop. Maybe we were lucky but things WILL grow without tons of work!

(Ashamed to say we are no better prepared this year!)

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 21:48:52 »
Gingerwelly, you are lucky. I'm sure Chief and others will agree with me that when you get into your 50s, summer lasts a fortnight, and a week later it's Christmas lol. OK, flippancy aside, if you do a little at a time, as much as you can slot into your schedule, the sight of your first crops as they poke through, will spur you on I'm sure. We've all been held back by the weather, as we are most years, but the crops seem to catch up somehow. I keep telling myself that nature was doing it long before we got here.
I also made the assumption that those who post their age in their profile are not sensitive about such things .

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Chief

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 20:23:48 »
Have got to admit euronerd is correct christmas is coming too fast again,as for the age correct again I am not sensitive in any way shape or form.regarding the little at a time I dig for 10 minutes sit down for 15 then dig for another 10 etc.Therefore I will probably see more than one christmas before my plot is completely clear,but there again whose worried ? not me just enjoy it.-Chief.

fozzylozzy

• Not So New ...
    • Live journal
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 16:48:34 »
Hi Gingerwelly,

I've had my plot for over a year now, and am still in the process of clearing it. With 2 little 'uns I don't get the time to get there as much as I'd like.

I guess you just have to do the best you can in the time you've got!

Like Chief said - enjoy it!

Louisa x

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 17:07:54 »
Yes, the key is to enjoy doing what you can, rather than feel pressured to do more than you are capable of. Be realistic, and plant accordingly. Most dates people mention are the earliest planting times, and this year seems to be late with the cool weather we have had.

Good luck :)
The impossible is just a journey away ...

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2006, 08:16:45 »
I too haven't had my plot for long and as yet apart from digging a few beds and sticking in some fruit bushes and garlic not much else to show for it yet!  I'm getting a little cheesed off with the cold weather now and although I am itching to get up there and get going, I'm also beginning to get bored by the whole waiting thing - which worries me slightly as I'm so fickle with my hobbies!!  I'm just hoping for a warm spell over the Easter holidays when I can go up there every day if I want and renew my enthusiasm.  I don't feel pressured into planting, as if it grows it will grow and if not - well there's next year....but my dad keeps wanting to come over and have a look....and there's really not much to look at yet!   ;D
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

myrtle

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2006, 10:34:56 »
I think the thing is not to panic and to take a little bit of the plot and do it the best you can and then move on to the next bit.  I'm on my 3rd year on my plot and I've still got some patches that I have barely touched. I am also taking over half of another plot this year that has been neglected for years.  I shall cover it once I've chopped down all the weeds and brambles etc. and probably not get to do anything worthwhile with it until next year.

Happy Lottying Gingerwelly! :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal