Author Topic: Peas & Beans  (Read 1487 times)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Peas & Beans
« on: March 15, 2006, 21:55:45 »
Hello everyone

I have grown Feltham First peas in loo roll tube in the mini greenhouse and if the weather holds would like to plant them out by the end of this month.  Having consulted my books - Caroline Foley, Susan Berger etc they all seem to agree that peas don't like clay soil - which is what I have :-\ now I know that I should have read the books first - but the thought of an allotment without peas is unthinkable!  So the question is - how do you all manage?  The beds have been thoroughly dug and weeded and I have added an 80lt bag of compost - I have also read in a magazine that you shouldn't add manure to peas as it makes them produce leaf but no pods (perhaps I'm reading too much ??? ???)

next question is about Broad Beans, I have never grown these before, so have just 4 growing in pots.  Thought I would plant them out at the same time as the peas.  What type of support do the beans need?

Thanks
Confused of Isleworth :-[

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: Peas & Beans
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 10:22:41 »
I am on clay and don't have a huge problem with peas unless you count pigeons and mice.

I do sow in guttering though using compost and then move the plants out into a shallow trench so I am not sowing direct which might make a difference.

Peas do not need too much nitrogen though and they are legumes and trap nitrogen form the air in their roots, too much and they make soft sappy growth and they are then vunerable to mildew and don't flower so well reducing the yield.

For broad beens I simply support them with string around the bed and the odd cane to support the string. I place the string at 3 heights to support the beans as they grow.

Shorter beans such as Sutton hardly need supporting.

HTH

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 14:32:00 »
Thanks, that's really helpful.  Just to recap ( I am new to all of this) :-[

Dig the bagged compost into the soil, then plant the peas in their loo roll holder, adding a bit more compost to be on the safe side.

Some of the peas are about 4" tall and have started to produce tendrils, so should I put the pea sticks in now, or cover with a chicken wire cloche until they are a bit bigger?

Phew - raising children is a breeze compared to this ;D

Sharon

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 15:40:20 »
I would not worry about digging the compost in myself, save that for more seeds later.

But plant out as you say and then I would get the pea supports in and ready and then protect with a bit of wire for now.

But make sure you harden off the seedlings before planting out as their growth could be checked or they suffer from a frost.

HTH

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2006, 15:56:43 »
Thanks Jerry

I think I know what I am doing now.  I am hardening them off now, although its a bit hit and miss, today for example is just to cold........

Sharon

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2006, 18:31:15 »
Sharon your not far away from me i'm in Greenford.

I grew my broad beans in pots last year and put them in the ground  in November didn't do anything to the soil and they are still alive about 30cms high.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal