Author Topic: Water Bills to increase  (Read 1016 times)

Vony

• Acre
Water Bills to increase
« on: March 14, 2006, 19:37:24 »
I was just wondering with the water rates to increase, and even starting a hosepipe ban here in the Thames Valley in April,  I don't think it is rocket science to reroute all the water they have been having up north with Snow, Sleet, and excessive Rain, why not open up the canals and bring the water down here please! as it was done years ago

Vony.

powerspade

Re: Water Bills to increase
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 21:23:49 »
I just built a new garage and installed a water collecting system to save on the bills,I hope to save several hundred gallons during the rainy season. Down the lottie I have  a shed 8ft x6ft it is surrounded with 8 barrels and a old bath although we have water laid on site I rather use rainwater for my plants

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 22:50:38 »
I was just wondering with the water rates to increase, and even starting a hosepipe ban here in the Thames Valley in April,  I don't think it is rocket science to reroute all the water they have been having up north with Snow, Sleet, and excessive Rain, why not open up the canals and bring the water down here please! as it was done years ago

Vony.

Vony, this is a possiblity which has been discussed and is why some of us (i.e. relatives) believe the new restoration of the Wilts and Berks canal from Abingdon to the Kennet & Avon is gaining a lot of money/suport from lottery/government/etc (they won a large lottery grant in January)  as it will help provide one of the much needed links in the nework from West to East.  Work is due to start at the Abingdon end this year (very soon; forgotten when) but the route from Abingdon onwards is a little up in the air, due to the reservoir plans (Thames Water offered to pay for the section around the new reservoir; but plans for this have taken a while)  There is a little opposition from some of the canal fraternity some of whom are not used to "running" water, but it doesn't have to run fast to transport water!  I am sure the information is on the Internet somewhere, I get all my info from parents in the IWA.  This link is a good start: http://www.abingdon-canal.co.uk/ sections around Wantage, Grove, etc have already been restored and are apparently wonderful wildlife walks

Routing from North to South may not be as easy, due to the lack of canals in parts, but with this restored Wilts and Berks canal, it will make it more possible to route water from wet Wales to London...

mat

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 18:41:30 »
the canal in Huddersfield was renovated a couple of years ago, some of the bits that had been filled in over the years have been re-opened.  Its very full at the moment and has lots of lovely barges on it currently.  Electricity points also appeared quite recently.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal