Author Topic: Seeds - A stupid question  (Read 1725 times)

chuff

• Half Acre
Seeds - A stupid question
« on: March 18, 2006, 20:11:05 »
this is probably a stupid question but do seeds need to be on a sunny window sill to germinate. the only space I have at home is in a north facing bedroom which is cold. I do have a little mini green house which I can set up outside which would get some sun but I wondered if it was still to cold outside. I'm such a beginner please help ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re: Seeds - A stupid question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 20:34:47 »
most seeds don't need direct sunlight to germinate but once germinated if they don't get enough light the seedlings will become spindly. the temperatures required for germination depend on the seeds, lettuce needs a much lower temp to germinate than peppers for example. and the same applies to what temps your seedlings need, lettuce would be okay outside in a mini green house but peppers or tomatoes wouldn't be happy there until the temps rise a bit more later in the year. What is it you wanted to sow?
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 20:35:19 »
Hello Chuff, what are you planning to grow? It's still very early to sow most things so no probs at all waiting til the weather warms up & seeding outside in yr mini g/house. Until this year I've ALWAYS started things off in my 3 coldframes OR germinated on the combi-boiler or in the kitchen moving them from surface to surfae, then moved to the coldframes. Can always remember Bob Flowerdew saying one year, early May time on GQT..."if you haven't sown anything yet...DON'T PANIC!.....plants have a habit of catching up"!

Very true, that!  Hope this has reduced yr panic levels ;)

Lishka

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 20:44:38 »
Thanks for the prompt replies. the seeds I have at the mo are:
Leeks
Peppers
Giant Pumpkin
Peas
Runner beans
Sweetcorn
Marrow
Carrots
Beetroot
Savoy Cabbage

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 21:16:25 »
I've got quite a windy allotment Chuff and when I began, the older gardeners gave me advice not to start things off too early.

I guess you could space some of the leek seed out in a seed tray and put them in the mini greenhouse but everything else may benefit from leaving a bit longer. The ground needs to warm up so that some of the stuff will germinate rather than just sit in cold damp soil, where it runs the risk of rotting before it starts to grow.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 21:16:58 »
Peppers I'd germinate now indoors and try to give them the brightest windowsill in the house. You need a warm temp to germinate so germinate in airing cupboard if you have one, as soon as they germinate move to the windowsill. Once they get bigger where are you going to put them? If you plan to plant outdoors then perhaps wait a little longer, not sure as I always grow mine indoors.

Pumpkin, runner beans, sweetcorn, marrow - wait until later (around early May) and germinate in your mini greenhouse

peas you could germinate now in your mini greenhouse, or if they're an early variety direct sow and cover with cloches.

carrots need direct sowing, depending on the variety but usually around March/April, wait till the soil warms a little more as it's very cold still

beetroot, next month direct sow, cover with cloches if it's still very cold

Leeks I have never had much success with so won't comment on them and I've never grown savoy cabbage so not sure on that one either, what do the seed packets say?

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 21:18:42 »
forgot to add, it depends very much where you are in the country too, if you're in Scotland then wait longer, I'm in the south so can start a little earlier than peeps in the north

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 21:34:01 »
My available windowsills are north and east facing but I currently have tomatoes, carrots and broad beans germinating and will then add pumpkins, celeriac, sweetcorn   and courgettes later in the year. I have a cold greenhouse where I intend to start off some lettuce and maybe leek soon, but it's too cold here even for that. (I'm in Edinburgh)

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2006, 22:10:12 »
Hi Chuff,
In the wiki there is a seed germination database that has the temperatures, growing medium etc for quite a large range of seed.

chuff

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 17:17:35 »
Thanks everyone for the replies they have been a great help ;D I was a little daunted by growing from seed has I have never tried before but I'm going to give it go and hope for the best ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal