Author Topic: Ideas please.  (Read 2049 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Ideas please.
« on: March 14, 2006, 12:58:14 »
How do you all keep your dogs amused between walks. Lady has 2 good walks a day and addition 5 minute ones round the block, I am fed up keep throwing the ball indoors when she wants her playtime. There must be something else that isn't so boring for her or me to vary it around. I did think of getting one of those agility tunnels but have you seen the price?...I wonder if cloches would work...Summer and warm days aren't a problem its the days when we can't garden play.All ideas gratefully received, I'm sure she must be getting as bored as we are. Val.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Re: Ideas please.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 14:10:32 »
2nd dog

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 15:29:45 »
 :D Please say that to my OH, Mike! I've been dying to get 2nd dog but OH says no because he doesn't have time for two dogs!!!

Hi Val :)

What kind of dog is Lady? I think some dogs are naturally very active (like border collies). My dog is quite lazy between walks (or meals) but I found some obedience training quite good to make him tired (both physically and mentally). Also what sort of food is she fed on? Some foods can make dogs hyper.

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 16:56:39 »
We have got 2 dogs ;D ;D thankfully the older dog is more sedate ;) Lady is only 6 months old so her energy levels are quite high, she is a Jack Russell, and isn't excitable  she has about an hours play indoors between sleep and  walks but although she is very happy I'm bored stiff keep playing the same...I throw the ball you get it...I'm sure I can vary the playtime around, its just knowing what...If it was a child I could get the painting out :D

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 17:22:34 »
I've ' dog proof ' my garden so that the dogs can't get out.  Fitted a dog flap to the utility room door, so that the dogs have access to the garden 24 hrs a day.  This means they can go out and ' play ' whenever they want.  Don't misunderstand me they still get their two walks a day over the fields, but between walks they can amuse themselves if we are busy.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 17:29:01 »
Hi Tora,

We had just the one dog for 8 years, then we got a second one and from then on we always had at least two dogs. We find it is much less work and trouble with two+, they amuse themselves and if its blowing a gale they seem to not mind as much if you skip the walk.  The only disavantage is that they hear the alarm in the morning, and take that as a signal to come ' visit ' , thats when one dog would be nice, especially if its been raining and they have been out prior to visiting.

flowerofshona

• Half Acre
  • Life is a lottie
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2006, 09:52:37 »
Try getting a big kong and fill it so that its very hard to get the treats out of and that will keep them happy for hours  ;D
6 dogs keep themselves entertained all day so that when pup has worn out one there is always some one willing to have a tug-o-war and walking them is a dream as the 'lead' dog gets called and they all come back and sit, couldnt imagine not haveing two dogs.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2006, 11:13:11 »
If it is really pouring with rain all day, I throw a ball up the stairs for Meggie so she has to clamber up and down to retrieve it.  I usually get tired before she does.  I also have one of the large balls that I put treats into and she spends a while trying to get them out. 

I also do obedience training.  I stand in the kitchen with biscuits and send her to her chair in the lounge.  I then whistle or call her and she comes to my feet.  After a biccie I say "finish" and she goes round the back of me and ends up by my side.  I then send her off to the lounge again and the whole procedure is repeated about 6 times.   :D

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2006, 16:23:32 »
brilliant ideas thanks folks, I'll start with the obedience training...if she bought the ball back and dropped it , it would help, she does bring it back but won't always let go, so thats the first thing and the treat thing, I'll look in the local pet shop.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2006, 17:19:11 »

I also do obedience training.  I stand in the kitchen with biscuits and send her to her chair in the lounge.

Reckon Meggie's done the obedience training here 8)

The kong things are well worth having & our dog used to bring 'his' slipper to us for us to play hunt-the-slipper with him. Great little dog!

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2006, 17:29:10 »
Think she must be more intelligent than our kids never had this trouble with them ;D...mind you could be she's spoilt, first puppy we've had, they've always been year olds from rescue places.When she wants to play we go on a guilt trip so she's a right little madam.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal