Author Topic: What are you harvesting now??  (Read 1288 times)

Truffle

• Half Acre
    • Grow truffles!-
What are you harvesting now??
« on: March 14, 2006, 12:35:02 »
Hi everyone,

Although this time of the year still looks a little bleak, I'm sure theres loads of you out there harvesting delicious veggies from your plot- I would love to know what everyone is harvesting at the moment (with pics!). Hopefully it will help us all in planning next years winter garden..

OK, I'll start:- this week I've been eating sprout tops and just popped down the lottie today and picked up spinach, savoy cabbage and a couple of types of kale.

Now what's everyone else harvesting?
www.PlantationSystems.com
Want to know about truffles? then visit our website, you can even buy truffle-trees ;-)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Re: What are you harvesting now??
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 13:02:27 »
Sprouts ... it's all I've got left  ::) (apart from herbs)  It's getting a bit tedious now ... I even made sprout soup last week.

Won't be caught out like that next year though! ALL YEAR ROUND HARVESTING IS MY AIM  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 13:08:04 »
my garden is my lottie so I'm pushed for space to grow crops that stay in for a long period, so.....sprout tops, purple sprouting,overwintering spring onions,loadsa parsley and rosemary and sage and thyme and marjoram....and soon, very very soon I'll be eating rhubarb. Goodies in freezer, tho and strings of garlic hanging up...does that count?

(and my silly neighbours only grow flowers :o)

and I forgot - how could I? - swiss chard

simon404

• Hectare
    • Simon's Allotment
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2006, 13:09:32 »
Erm...sprouts! And leeks, and carrots - still got half a row of last years maincrop in  :)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 13:33:28 »
We are still harvesting leeks and spinach from the allotment and I have still got a lovely pumpkin left and some peas and soft fruit in the freezer.  I have also got lots of jars of rhubarb, green tomato and gooseberry chutney's and pickled beetroot.  We have one onion left from last seasons crop, so haven't bought any onions since last June. This week I will have to buy my first onion since then.  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2006, 13:36:33 »
Still actually picking.....leeks, purple and green sprouts, spinach, swiss chard, kale, savoy cabbage, red cabbage, spring onions, italian mixed salad leaves, chinese mustard, celeriac and celery (thanks Tim).

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2006, 13:44:04 »
Parsnips still being dug and purple sprouting picking hopefully soon. No other veg other than surplus from last year in the freezer.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2006, 14:54:40 »
Picking, Sprouts, spinach, chard, Parsnips, leeks, mooli,Black Radish, Lettuce (in the unheated greenhouse) celeriac, kale, Last squash is halfway through, and have french beans in the freezer. Purple Sprouting nearly there!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2006, 15:35:36 »
The freezer is still well stocked with goodies, but the plot itself is almost bare now. Leeks are drawing to a close, the broccoli looks like it can;'t be bothered, and my spinach never survived the winter.

A genuine hungry gap regarding fresh vegetables ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2006, 16:35:10 »
Goodness, I forgot all about the purple and white sprouting brocolli!

I have masses in store so there will be no allotment hungry gap for us!  ;D

Truffle

• Half Acre
    • Grow truffles!-
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 17:04:54 »
WoW- a whole lot of harvesting!! ;D
I'm definitely adding leeks and winter carrots to my winter garden now.

Doris_Pink: what do you reckon to the winter raddish?- I haven't been that impressed so far, the turnips are a far tastier harvest at this time of year.

Also its good to see that my broccoli plants aren't too far behind, some of the peeps from the allotment are already havesting their sprouting broc but mine looks like like its got a couple more weeks (all 30 plants of it!!)- good to see theres a few of you in the same boat...

Truff
www.PlantationSystems.com
Want to know about truffles? then visit our website, you can even buy truffle-trees ;-)

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 18:34:32 »
Umm, plot is new, so only cress on the windowsill...  :-[  Roll on summer...

mat

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal