Author Topic: Leeks  (Read 1031 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Leeks
« on: March 14, 2006, 11:05:29 »
I have two deep pots of leek seedlings growing in my greenhouse. They are between 3 and 5 inches high right now, but very spindly, of course.

A couple of weeks ago I covered part of my veggie plot with cardboard after digging it over well and raking fine. Would it be correct to plant the seedlings direct into their final places as soon as this cold snap breaks or should I plant closer together in this warmed soil area and transplant again in June or thereabouts? I am in the southwest.

TIA for any advice.

Tricia

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
  • Laughing all the way to the plot
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
Re: Leeks
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 11:20:18 »
Its up to you.  I am Planting in soon like yourself, and have planned to plant out in final positions, then intercrop with some pf the salads, radishes, lettuce, etc.
This helps with ground cover and thus keeps weeds down. by july/august I will leave the leeks on their own, there tops should have developed enough to keep bed fairly free.
I also give them a drop of liquid manure, to help them after the salads have reduce the available nutrients in the soil.
they say it wouldn't grow.....ha

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Leeks
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 15:40:47 »
Last year, I tried planting out early, then final planting in june/july, and I had reliable yields. Previous years I have gone straight from the seedling stage to final planting around mid May and had variable growth.

Suffice it to say that I will be repeating the former method, but would not proclaim it to be the best. Personal choice perhaps.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal