Poll

How much do you think you know about gardening? Are you an 'Absolute Beginner' or an 'Expert'?

Absolute Beginner: What is a spade?
2 (3.3%)
Beginner Beginning to Learn: I have an Alan Titchmarsh book and I've read it cover to cover
10 (16.4%)
Middle of the Road. I know what 'chitting' means and I have tested the PH of my soil
36 (59%)
Semi-Professional: People ask me when to plant things and I'm usually right
10 (16.4%)
Absolute Expert: I am the advisor to Monty Don and I can grow a pineapple plant in a thimble
3 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Are you a beginner or an expert?  (Read 6379 times)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Are you a beginner or an expert?
« on: March 13, 2006, 15:29:02 »
HOPE YOU LIKE THIS POLL  ;D

So how much do you think you know about gardening?

I know that you can never know ‘everything about everything’ and have 100% success on an allotment, but some people must come pretty close – especially the veterans on our allotment site (that have mentored/tormented me for the past 3 years  8) ) and a few members on here.

Sometimes I think I’m a beginner and then sometimes I think I know more than I THINK I know and tentatively give advice to ‘Absolute Beginners' ... poor souls  ;)

And then I log on to A4A and WANT to give advice but feel like I can’t because there are EXPERTS on here who know more than me!

Does this make sense? Probably not!

But I fancied starting a poll.

Trixie XXX

I'm rating myself as a '3'  ;D
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: Are you a beginner or an expert?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2006, 15:35:19 »
To me it is about fun, knowledge is a bonus, and those that are more capable will be able to impart their knowledge and experience readily. I will continue as long as I enjoy growing and then eating my produce.

PS. I cheated, I have never tested the PH of my soil.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2006, 15:37:58 »
CURRY! I will have your vote deleted unless you test your PH  ;D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2006, 16:04:25 »
Arghh, I have not formally tested it, but everything seems to grow normally, indicating it is within acceptable limits - is that adequate?  ;D
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2006, 16:19:11 »
Go on then Curry!  ;D

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 16:28:23 »
Hi Trixie, i look at thing this way, if you know the answer to some body question, answer it, as i live in the south, and if somebody want to know when to sow seeds up north, or by the northsea, i have to take in the account of the weather and location, four weeks difference in time scale, or the salt in the air, differences in temperatures, day and night, soils i only give basic advise, but ha this place helps us all to learn, feel free to answer any thing you like.  I'm doing an RHS course but don't fell i really know what I'm on about at time, only when I'm on my allotment,
windy
my allotment
heaven

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2006, 16:40:29 »
Trixie dear girl,

there isn't a day goes by that I don't learn something!!

think I will be a permanet beginger 'in perpetuum'   ;D ;) :D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 18:01:39 »
I am no expert, but I kinda muddle through and do okay, and yup, people are always asking me advice, that is why I entertain myself gardening for others, but like flowerlady, everyday I learn something new or do something wrong, or nurture a weed and dig up and treasured plant!  Yup, I can grow bananas and pineapples, but do you think I can get perrenial poppies to germinate, not a chance, and turnips and swedes, still trying! :D

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 18:08:56 »
;D

right there with you EJ!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 18:13:06 »
Oh this is difficult as before I saw the options I would have said beginner or possibly the second one but I have to admit I did know what chitting was and I have tested the soil!  I guess I am a beginner that has grown up around very avid vegetable growers with my grandad and dad....maybe some of it DID rub off!?!  But I've never ever had an allotment before though and never grown anything other than cress on blotting paper so I'm going for the 2.   And I'm reading anything veggie related from cover to cover at the moment!
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 18:21:08 »
well i've got u all sussed cause its pH and not PH!

:P
It'll be better next year

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 18:32:21 »
Putting us on the spot eh, Trixiebelle!  After 20++ years I shouldn't say I am a beginner should I :-[ but every year I muck up/learn about something new so I think I am an "expert beginner"!! ;)
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 19:29:23 »
i've given myself a 2.  ok, i have three spuds sitting on an egg carton in the spare room but don't think they're doing anything let alone chitting, and whilst i did buy a soil testing kit, it is still sitting in one of the plastic greenhouses waiting for me to do something with it.  :o

tbh i don't even have an Alan book although i wouldn't mind a gardener's year, but i have been buying a couple of mags monthly for about the past 7 months.

some stuff i just had in my head, but just by reading this board i've quadrupled+ the knowledge i had.  let's just hope i put it all the to good use and have something to show at harvesting.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 19:39:00 »
I am not an absolute beginner having dabbled since I was little but had a kitchen veggie patch for about 5 years and then an allotment for three years, but I am by no means an expert either.  I know a little bit by experience, but have so much yet to learn and I see  many people on here who far outweigh my knowledge. It has been a great help being part of this forum and has certainly developed me as a gardener. busy_lizzie
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 19:42:40 by busy_lizzie »
live your days not count your years

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 19:39:40 »
I blag my way through it ;D ;D ;D

MattyJC

• Half Acre
  • South Oxfordshire
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 20:22:00 »
Really don't know the answer to this one!!

I spent 2 years at a local college learning Horticulture then spent a further 2 years at Pershore studying full time, but would you believe it I know virtually nothing about Veg...its a long learning curve again!

Expert beginner?? :D

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2006, 23:32:02 »
I started gardening over 20 years ago, so I'm an expert beginner. I've reached Hapless.

To test this level of experience, just count the scars - have you:

Stood on a rake

Poked a bamboo cane in your eye

Punched yourself on the nose while pulling up a dandelion

Walked backwards into the pond (always backwards)

Mummified yourself in fruit netting

Put your foot in a bucket of... something

Checked the flow of your hose... by turning it to face you

If this sounds like you, then welcome to my world!

Fortunately, I have expert plants.

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2006, 23:45:26 »
Amazin, you are amazing and I can identify with most of your many "gardening experiences".  All I can say is ME too, and that punching yourself in the nose while pulling up a weed,  -  that really hurt!  ;D busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 00:04:54 »
i can chit with the best walk in to the rake  always and as for pH thats got me where would you say i was lol ::) and my other best trick  is sowing far to many seeds just in-case they don't germinate and the lot germinating and having no where to plant them im number 2 then ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2006, 00:13:10 »
okay so who voted to be Mondy Don's adviser? I want to know how to grow a pineapple in a thimble ;D ;D
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal