Author Topic: Cardboard tubes  (Read 1313 times)

deboydoyd

• Half Acre
  • Bit of digging - it'll be fine
Cardboard tubes
« on: March 18, 2006, 22:44:54 »
I think i'm going slightly OTT with the scavenging but plucked up courage and asked at the local carpet shop and have acquired as many cardboard and plastic tubes as i like (the wide ones which carpets come rolled round) and as much carpet ends as i need for paths etc. Has anyone got any ingenious use for them, does anyone use them already, can you fill them with compost and grow veg in them on the patio? I would be interested to here from anyone.

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
Re: Cardboard tubes
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 23:03:17 »
i think some people grow leeks in drainpipes (the exhibitionists i think) so maybe those, or celery, might help with the blanching! ??? like doing potaotes in bages is easier for the earthing up. don't qoute me on it though ;D

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 23:59:02 »
WOW! Result, Deboydoyd!

If you're growing anything slightly delicate, you could cut a length of the wide cardboard tubing to sink in the ground as extra protection/ insulation of the roots. Likewise if you're growing in pots you could fit it inside.

Spray the cardboard with water containing liquid feed. I did this with the toilet rolls for my sweetpeas and it seems to have helped!

Plastic tubing I'd cut into small sections to use as (bottomless) pots inside seed trays. Would make it easier to transplant baby plants into the ground - i.e. just pushing the plants out rather than having to turn out of normal pots.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 08:49:35 »
I use the plastic tubing to edge my raised beds, lasts forever!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal