Author Topic: Planting in the dead gaps  (Read 894 times)

paddyx

• Not So New ...
Planting in the dead gaps
« on: March 09, 2006, 15:45:22 »
Does anyone else experience this: planting a row of something, and only one end of the row survives? And by that time, the planting season is over for whatever's in the row?
I'm thinking of planting something in these gaps: should I just leave them empty, mulch them, or plant whatever I've got in the space? But the latter would play havoc with any crop rotation plans...
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks
- Paddyx

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
Re: Planting in the dead gaps
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 17:49:01 »
I fill in gaps from time to time, lettuce, radish, beetroot, spring onions, etc. are particulary good for this.

I also may buy in plants when available to fill gaps such as for brasica's but be careful you are not bringing in soil borne disease such as club root doing that. As I have club root I am not too bothered.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 19:13:45 »
Yes, you can catch-crop anywhere there's a bare bit of soil; use jerry's list. Catch cropping is when you sow a quick maturing crop in this vacant gap. Suitable crops for filling such gaps include spring onions, radishes and lettuce - they mature quickly and can be 'out of the way' quickly, and I don't believe they throw out rotations. You can also grow fast growing crops in ground that is not planted until the summer. For example, you can sow carrots or radishes in the early spring, and then harvest before planting late-sown cabbages on the same ground in late spring/early summer.

If you enjoy pea shoots (and who doesn't ;D) you can plant a small handful of peas in a gap, or a short row, and enjoy them most months of the year, because they don't need to mature to be eaten. And they will enrich the soil.

paddyx

• Not So New ...
thanks for the ideas
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 20:07:10 »
I think I might put spinach in the gaps - the sort you can keep planting. Our small plants, planted in September, have survived all through winter! Is that right? And why isn't anything eating them - our PSB looks very tattered.
On the "dead gaos" question, lots of the seed packets say you should thin things out - what do people do with the "thinnings"; does it make sense to transplant them somewhere else, or just chuck 'em in the compost?
Was warm enough in Bristol today to have a snooze on the wood chips in our polytunnel! Felt a lot better for it too.
Happy lotmenting!
- Paddyx

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 02:13:03 »
Thinnings? EAT them in salad or stir fried  :D. Even unusual candidates for the salad bowl (like carrot tops) are delish when wee. If you snip rather than pull thinnings (the root will just die away) there's less grit to wash off. Taste them as you thin to find out what thinnings you like best.

Spinach? My autumn sown Bordeaux from last year is thriving like yours. I think pests are generally asleep in winter, another reason I like winter crops so much. Sounds like a great interplanting idea, I'll copy it ;D

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2006, 07:57:44 »
I just chuck hand fulls of things like fox glove, cowslip and primrose seeds all over the raised beds when ever these things seed. Then I let them grow to fruition in any gaps where crops have failed.

It brings the bees in and makes for a more pleasant working environment.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal