Author Topic: Parsnip planter  (Read 13981 times)

tomsagenius

Re: Parsnip planter
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2006, 21:33:42 »
sounds like a very good idea . My plot is sandy , so I just stick them in around end of March . I spot or station sow and space out to about nine inches . The result is a parsnip around four inches across and around eighteen inches long . They seem to get attacked by carrot fly , anybody know how to beat this , Ive tried everything , nothing seems to work .
Might try the cds though - that works with pidgeons and keeps them off the cabbages.

Old Tom the gardener

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2006, 12:13:29 »
MikeB can i suggest that you put your super parsnip planter up on the wiki. I may try and makeone next year by which time this thread will be long gone. Hope it not cheeky of me to suggest it. sarah.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2006, 12:53:08 »
How can I refuse a Lady of such refinement and good taste, who recognises a highly sophisticated planter when she sees one. (unlike the poor substitute offered by the other one ;D ;D ;D)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2006, 13:00:08 »
" a) for planting toilet rolls (and their contents)"

Hey Supersprout, any spare seeds for those aloe vera toilet rolls?  They cost a fortune in the shops & I could save oodles if I can grow my own.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2006, 13:02:35 »
;D. of course i am hoping curry will post his fantastic devise also, it just that yours has pictures and currys sounds a bit too high tech for me :P  ;D ;D

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2006, 13:10:23 »
;D. of course i am hoping curry will post his fantastic devise also, it just that yours has pictures and currys sounds a bit too high tech for me :P  ;D ;D

Have you not been reading the previous posts on this thread? HIS is too high tech?? ;D, HIS is the basic model, low grade, poorly constructed and not to such a high tolerence ;D, Mentioning no names, but we both know who I mean. ???

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2006, 14:28:15 »
;D o dear what have i said! ;D  Please be gentle with me, I have just had a filling at the dentist
I am under the influence of a very numb lip and dont know what I'm saying!! Wish I had kept my trap shut now ??? ;D

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2006, 14:48:56 »
No problem, as long as you recognise the error ;D ;D.  It would be fair to say then that WE both agree that Curry is inferior :D, that is to say his planter. :o.

Seriously hope your teeth are OK and all is well.

Regards

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2006, 14:58:20 »
Well to be fair, I never did claim mine was technical superior, so you could be right in it being less appealing. However, it only needs to do my bidding, ie this prototype could well be the last model  :D There you go, no competition ...

I am still working on the pictures by the way ...

63 yards of parsnips planted anyway, of which 14 yards are using the dibber ...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 15:00:27 by Curry »
The impossible is just a journey away ...

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2006, 15:02:41 »
Delusions of grander, I just noticed you have become a God over the weekend, I bow before your greatness, (only for another 25 posts)

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2006, 15:15:32 »
I bow to the superior knowledge of you both in my not-so-newness :D I shall look forward to seeing all your  inventions on the wiki. ;D I shall now go and dribble my way up to the school.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2006, 15:19:52 »
Actually I became a god this morning, but with the clocks changing, I am confused as to when it is anyway ...

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2006, 15:22:59 »
Hey Supersprout, any spare seeds for those aloe vera toilet rolls?  They cost a fortune in the shops & I could save oodles if I can grow my own.

groan froglets ;D ;D
Just wait until my lay-dees version has passed quality control and is ready for trials, the bracket will be adjustable for height and ability to lift leg ;)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2006, 17:41:28 »
As promised, here are pictures (rather poor ones) of that inferior metal dibber thingy.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2006, 17:47:28 by Curry »

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2006, 18:03:29 »
Hey Curry! Looks like a broadsword! Just the sort of thing a god needs for doing battle with lesser mortals. ;)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2006, 18:10:08 »
Well it is definitely fun to use grawmentor. But I doubt it possesses the style and quality of the wooden equivalent. For battling with the gods, see my new toy post in the Shed ... that is something that definitely doesnt have a wooden version (not that works anyway  ;D)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2006, 20:01:46 »
Looks like a broadsword! Just the sort of thing a god needs for doing battle with lesser mortals. ;)

Or the children of the night. Wouldn't have thought you had trouble with vampires with all that garlic though curry ??? 8)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2006, 10:15:28 »

Or the children of the night. Wouldn't have thought you had trouble with vampires with all that garlic though curry ??? 8)

That is something that the wooden version definitely has an advantage over the metal equivalent, in that it can be made into stakes ...

Yes I will continue with my garlic approach ...

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Parsnip planter LADIES MODEL
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2006, 11:58:57 »
The long-awaited lay-dees version of the famous parsnip planter is off the bench! Note adjustable foot pedal and night-vision depth gauge for a) planting loo rolls and b) boring deeper holes e.g. for parsnips. This versatile model converts to a plant stake and handy shelf support when not in use.

It's not been road tested so there may be more exciting modifications and no, it won't be painted pink ;)

It's my first home-made allotment tool, inspired by Mike and Curry :-*
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 13:17:11 by supersprout »

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2006, 12:11:20 »
This is definitely exciting stuff. I am impressed supersprout, even although you shunned my version for the wooden concept  ;) You never know, A4A could become the world leader in parsnip planter design, there will be pilgrimages, Dan's hit rate will rocket and he will need a supercomputer just to handle the bandwidth ...  :D

Perhaps we should keep an eye on the pages of the Financial Times ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal