Author Topic: Parsnip planter  (Read 13968 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Parsnip planter
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 13:25:12 »
I should have known that something good was going on...kept seeing 'parsnip planter' whenever I logged on - don't grow parsnips meself, so.........but then I wondered what was the interest here?

Just the tonic I needed after a visit to the dentist this morning  ;D ;D ;D

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 13:38:28 »
One question re the compost and sand mix: what sort of sand?

Thanks,

Stuart.

Sorry Stuart its only just registered that someone was actually asking a serious question, you could use horticultural sand but thats expensive, I should imagine that sharp sand would be more than OK

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 15:56:29 »
OK, I have a field report back on the trial run of my metal version of the parsnip planter.

In my version, both ends of the planter are used. The end with the footpads on is used to create the hole, a little waggle makes the hole a little larger. The planter is then upended, and the long straight end is inserted into the hole. Rotation of the device enlarges the hole in a conical fashion, without scuffing of the surrounding area by the footpads.

Final opinion? Excellent! Although I designed mine independently, I will allow Mike to retain design rights since he 'got there first' !  ;)

I have done one row of about 30 parsnips and will do another row at the weekend. The other rows will be done in the traditional manner to provide a comparison ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2006, 16:36:31 »
Hi Curry,

I intend doing mine like the figure 5 on a domino per square foot,
3"
   X        X       X        X
6"     X                 X
   X        X       X        X
3"     6"   3"|3"   6"     3"|

I think this will give the maximum yield with the least wasted space without crowding the parsnips.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2006, 16:47:27 »
I'll be doing mine offset too mike, at 4" :)

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2006, 17:00:50 »
OK, I have a field report back on the trial run of my metal version of the parsnip planter.

In my version, both ends of the planter are used. The end with the footpads on is used to create the hole, a little waggle makes the hole a little larger. The planter is then upended, and the long straight end is inserted into the hole. Rotation of the device enlarges the hole in a conical fashion, without scuffing of the surrounding area by the footpads.

Final opinion? Excellent! Although I designed mine independently, I will allow Mike to retain design rights since he 'got there first' !  ;)

I have done one row of about 30 parsnips and will do another row at the weekend. The other rows will be done in the traditional manner to provide a comparison ...

In my version being highly engineered no waggling is required since a precision hole (within the well publicised and world famous tolerance values, which due to the keenness of this particular designer have now been reduced to +/- 2 7/8", yes that's right a massive reduction of 1/8").

Only one end needs to be used since it made the hole correctly in the first place,(this should be of interest to our Lady gardeners who would get their hands dirty and icky with the other inferior metal longer lasting comes in several colours woosey designed planter) since it needs reversing. (remember the car this is not good)
No rotation is necessary since the Superior planter is chamfered for easy extraction and doesn't enlarge the hole requiring the use of more expensive compost, which will be of Major interest to our Senior client base, YES! we listen to our clients, although we don't have any at the minute since all orders are cancelled due to the under cutting of our market with a cheap metal version.

Scuffing in the immediate area or anywhere else is something a gentleman would never do.

dirtyfingernails

• Half Acre
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2006, 17:21:17 »
(this should be of interest to our Lady gardeners who would get their hands dirty and icky with the other inferior metal longer lasting comes in several colours woosey designed planter) would never do.
[/quote]

Oy! cheeky b****r check out the name!  ;D and I'll have you know I'm a fully fledged girl (mind you I am going for a manicure tomorrow, just can't get that dirt out meself) ;D

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2006, 17:29:56 »
Yes but from Kent, well I mean..... ;D ;D ;D

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2006, 17:35:08 »
Curry any chance of a photo?

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2006, 17:51:38 »
I'll be doing mine offset too mike, at 4" :)

Would that give you 9 per square foot? Have you done it this close before? and with what results? or is this your first go at this spacing?

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2006, 18:03:04 »
mike>> how did you attach the foot bar to the post?  erm, in non-engineer speak that is!   ???
It'll be better next year

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2006, 19:06:44 »
mike>> how did you attach the foot bar to the post?  erm, in non-engineer speak that is!   ???

Drilled a hole through the post and then bashed a metal rod into it and out the otherside.  Sorry tried to simplify it but us engineer types, we just have our own language

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2006, 19:16:29 »
Photo? I will see what I can do Mike, in the meantime I am falling about with laughter at your sales pitch !!! Rest assured I am a do-it-myself man, no-one else gets the benefit of my skills ... :)

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2006, 19:20:17 »
Hi Curry, what spacing did you go for?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2006, 19:44:55 »
Would that give you 9 per square foot? Have you done it this close before? and with what results? or is this your first go at this spacing?

Yup, 8-9 per square foot. I have planted this close in rows before, but not offset, so that bit is experimental ::)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2006, 09:51:54 »
I worked on 6 inch spacing Mike, I reckon that would give me decent sized parsnips and also making the tapered holes didnt cause the adjacent ones to collapse ... this is very much a learning curve though ...  :)  I will be making a second row about 9 inches spaced from the first, purely because that suits my local conditions.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 09:53:42 by Curry »

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
Re: Parsnip planter: lay-dees version
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2006, 18:26:32 »
Right chaps, I bought a 5 ft sharpened tree stake today and here's what I plan to do:

screw on a strong shelf bracket as a footpad (one side only), which can be de-mounted for ease of storage and cleaning

mark the base at two levels for the required depth a) for planting toilet rolls (and their contents) and b) for making parsnip and kitchen roll holder holes

;D ;D

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2006, 18:47:49 »
screw on a strong shelf bracket as a footpad (one side only), ;D ;D

Just a tip, don't forget to check wether you are right or left footed before you screw the bracket on. ;D ;D ;D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2006, 19:37:57 »
Ah I am ahead of you there Mike, if you rotate the dibber so the bracket is to the left, and write L in indelible marker on the handle, then write R on the other side, it becomes a dual purpose tool eh? You see, I am brighter than I look  ;D

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Parsnip planter: lay-dees version
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2006, 19:45:40 »

a) for planting toilet rolls (and their contents)

YUK..... :o ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal