Author Topic: Gardeners World Special  (Read 3955 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: Gardeners World Special
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2006, 17:15:41 »
Yes I agree with that Robert, that would make a great programme. I did enjoy seeing the allotments special again,  but it just left me wanting to see more and in more depth.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2006, 17:50:37 »
consider how much "Top Gear" must spend on each programme, and then how much it would cost to do a decent lottie series .... next to nothing i would imagine.

now i've nothing against Jeremy Clarkson, infact i find him quite entertaining, but there should be a balance.

maybe lottieing isn't sexy enough.

:o
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2006, 19:07:31 »
There is only so much you can get into an hour and obviously they tried to make a programme that would appeal to lottie and non lottie people.
Personally I really enjoyed it, and Monty Don was a bonus, he just so loves allotments, he feels really passionately about them.

MM

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2006, 22:54:48 »
I really enjoyed the show, but agree that the amount of time spent on the competiton was bit much. It all seemed a bit twee yet anal at the same time.
I will finish it, one day

bennettsleg

• Hectare
  • hertford, herts. 2 windowsills, no greenhouse
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2006, 16:27:19 »
Missed it the first time around so was glad to catch it.  Thought it was quite good, really.  Yes, lots of "characters" (tv wouldn't touch a subject without them) but they had good tips:

- earthing up carrots to avoid carrot fly
- the runnerbean poles and the metal support structure
- gently crushing coriander seeds to improve yield
- no-water gardening (potentiall useful for this year's drought problems)
- the ex-pipe tool made for digging up parsnips with the longest roots I've ever seen
- those beautiful walled allotments that I am SO envious about. There's an historical horticulture/social thesis opportunity.
- how to grow marijuana on old compost heaps... did I say that out loud? ;D

I marvel at the time people have available to not only think around problems but also to make all these things.

It would be great if there were a full series of allotment programmes, but something tells me that there would be so many tips and tricks that one series wouldn't be enough!

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2006, 13:28:42 »
I thought it was a great program and has inspired me to start container veg for the first time. Got very enthusiastic and went to the organic gardening catalogue and ordered quite a few! I've so far started my Broad beans in rootrainers, four varieties of tomatoes and my Brussels Sprouts! Lots more to go yet! I have also ordered £12.00 worth of organic Strawberry Plants ('Florence') form Tamar Organics! Not a bad prigram with outcomes like that! I don't even have a lottie! Dan :-)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal