Author Topic: IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED  (Read 1378 times)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
« on: March 11, 2006, 14:17:58 »
STILL TRYING ;D No sighting of any birds other than the starlings, blackbirds, sparrows, pigeons!!
Have thrown the niger seed away (2nd time) and refilled with fresh. Always the optimist ;D The starlings spend so much time squabbling that they miss serious feeding time. All my feeders have been hanging from my gazebo frame. As Lorna (jnr) bought me a bird table I thought I would put the 6perch feeder (Wild bird seed) and fat ball hanging under the bird table. Normally the 6perch ones has to be filled almost every day. I was surprised to see it hadn't hardly been touched so have put it back where it was. I can almost watch the seed dissapearing as I watch from kitchen window. Perhaps my little friends have got bad eye sight ;D I left the fat ball and a feeder of peanuts hanging under the table and the starlings are having a great time. I am still wondering if the  almost complete lack of hedgerows  in this area is the reason why I don't get finches etc. Never mind I am still enjoying my new hobby. As someone said the sunflower hearts go down a treat!!
Lorna.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
Re: IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2006, 17:35:04 »
L~ ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Donna

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2006, 19:57:32 »
Hi Lorna,
We moved here about 18 months ago. We decided to put lots of different bird feeders up and bought a bird table. Our first winter we had magpies, robins, collared doves, wood pigeons, blue tits, great tits, starlings, sparrows which we were made up with, especially our children.
But last summer and this winter we had the same vistors as above but even more species have paid us a visit, chaffinches, green finches, long tailed tits, 1 x greater spotted woodpecker, 1 x jay, dunnocks and a sparrowhawk eating a collared dove,which I was quite alarmed at but as my 5 year old said "thats how nature is"
So hang in there Lorna.

Donna  :D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 20:19:24 »
Certainly won't give up even if I only get present visitors. They are getting used to movement from the house. I have a covered (door both ends) porch between my kitchen and outhouses which Charlie used as workshop. Anyhow Elsa (dog) likes to have door to garden open and lay just inside porch. At first the birds would fly off but now they keep feeding, that is until some drop to ground and Elsa chases them ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal