Author Topic: magpies in the garden  (Read 2699 times)

Dominique

• Not So New ...
magpies in the garden
« on: August 31, 2005, 18:54:12 »
They've taken over... I used to have lots of other birds (little ones - blue tits, finches, even small green woodpeckers).  Now it's just magpies.  LOADS of them.

Anybody else been though this? 
Is there anything I can do?  Thanks
D

dotCompost

• Half Acre
Re: magpies in the garden
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 19:50:14 »
I don't know how many Your loads are but I've had families with three kids - making five magpies - times two or three families..!! :o :o :o
The racket they make wakes you up in the morning, and disturbs a quiet afternoon in the garden. As you say the numbers of songbirds reduces dramatically.  >:( >:( >:(

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 10:47:28 »
Ooh, the worst thing is when they sit in the tree outside our bedroom and wake me up with their racket. Grr.

I'm not keen on them, but their numbers seem in proportion to our thriving sparrow and starling population, so I'll leave them be for now.. I don't think there's much you can really do, aside from buying a catapult.

Melanie

weedbusta

• Hectare
  • glasgow
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 10:57:09 »
oooh I hate them so much!! I also used to have loads of wee birds in the garden, robins, blue tits, finches etc.  some of which nested in the garden. the bloody magpies either robbed the nests of eggs or killed the chicks. I even sat up garding a blackbirds nest all night and the b******s got at the nest when I was at work. Don't know how to get rid of them in a way that s.s.p.c.a. would approve of, but using the kids super soaker guns on them makes you feel better!!

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 20:53:58 »
Magpies are a big problem here too.  In fact, they tend to kill and eat other small birds, especially if they have young ones.   We had a family with young ones about a month ago and the baby made such a racket it woke us up in the morning.

But they are wonderful birds  ;D :D ;D

Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 18:49:43 »
I have to agree with every thing you have all said. 

But, they are a truly intelligent bird.  When it was hotter this year, the few bits of bread that were left on the bird table turned to rock.  I watched a magpie, take it to the bird bath nd dunk it in the water to soften the bred.

This was not a fluke, cos I watched a repeat performance the next day !!  Fascinating.
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2005, 22:09:19 »
We have jackdores they fly off with any fatballs we put out and full bags of peanuts. We are going to put up a wire fence that lets the smaller birds through but not the jackdores. :)

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 13:25:17 »
Similar thing should work with magpies if they're taking food off your bird table - stop them getting the food and they should move on, although your chance of getting rid of them completely isn't that high.

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2005, 13:39:26 »

:D

I think I can safely say in this case we are fortunate here in the Scottish Borders in that the Magpie is not around.  I have seen only 2 here in the past 15 years.  I suppose they do pass through the area and one day probably soon their numbers will increase but at the moment they are just not here.

;D ;D ;D ;D

moudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 21:31:30 »
There's only one thing worse than Magpies and that's the grey tree rat  with the fluffy tail.I feel so sorry for those few  remaining Blackbirds etc. who have nest after nest raided by these murderers. >:( >:( >:(

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 22:01:11 »

:D

I think I can safely say in this case we are fortunate here in the Scottish Borders in that the Magpie is not around.  I have seen only 2 here in the past 15 years.  I suppose they do pass through the area and one day probably soon their numbers will increase but at the moment they are just not here.

;D ;D ;D ;D

they're not far away carol, we've got dozens here in glasgow.  ::)
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 23:16:29 »
Hundreds marking time in Edinburgh

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 00:14:16 »
Magpie and Grawrc.

I know, they are not far away.   When we are en route to Edinburgh, I see them just outside Dalkeith and usually watch them at the Sherrifhall roundabout.  I think at the moment  the hills at Soutra have cut them off fromthe Borders.  Only time will tell.....

>:( >:( >:(

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal