Author Topic: b***dy heater  (Read 2068 times)

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
b***dy heater
« on: April 05, 2006, 20:20:48 »
night before last we put blow heater in GH to keep frost off, even though that night wasn't too bad, OH checked heater yesterday evening as it was going to go to about -4c. this morning looked out and GH roof was white! yes, the d**n heater didn't do its job, it was still -3c when we checked first thing this evening.
lost all my melons, most of courgettes, loads of toms, nasturtiams, couple of fuschias. Amazingly enough it was the stuff that had grown the most that had suffered, not so much the little seedlings! maybe because of the overall surface area that was open to the frosts, although days will tell whether my smaller ones have suffered with a delayed reaction.
Anyone got any melon started off they can send, preferably chenterelais (or however its spelt) please!!    :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(   :'(

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
Re: b***dy heater
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 21:33:31 »
still time to sow seeds, get them done soon and you should be fine. most of those types of seeds are to be done form february to march or april, couple of weeks wont make much difference. RUN!!

Next time make sure that your greenhouse has some insulation on the main side, where you get the colder weather and the heater needs to be big enough for the size of the GH

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 23:03:56 »
adam, you do not give me much consolation. I have sown all my tom seeds i have got that i wanted. I need to make pasta sauces for the year!!!!, i suppose they could be staggered, I don't use F1's/ i suppose i'll have to go back to ebay or 'seeds of distinction' for my toms, but please anyone with the melon stated already started, please pm me do i can have some, need them started for a good season.

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 13:34:21 »
Ouch. My main problem is unplugging my heater and forgetting to plug it back in after I've used the socket for something else... but heatwise,  the digital thermostat plug that Jerry told me about in this thread
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,28/topic,16554.msg170402#msg170402
is doing an excellent job - you don't put the heater onto frost setting, you put it to maximum(!) and set a temp on the thermostatic plug instead.

I've got loads of San Marzano tomato seed if you need them - best ones for passata and the like, anyway!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal