Author Topic: Ex-battery hens  (Read 27849 times)

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
Re: Ex-battery hens
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2006, 22:14:07 »
debs, i am so glad you buy free range eggs now, and i'm so glad that jimmies has shown the true extent of battery eggs, i hope there are so many more minds changed, and battery eggs will be a thing of the past. they don't have to be expensive, netto do them and i think they're only about 70p for 1/2 dozen, farmers markets are reasonable too

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2006, 22:43:06 »
I've been buying free range organic eggs for over 10 years now but I still have to really search for them in the Edinburgh area.

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2006, 17:02:11 »
I've finally got the girls ;D They're in not too bad nick considering.
The co-ordinator said they were the best hens she had ever
collected. She rescued about 150 hens and had homes for all
of them, which was nice ;D
Have a few pics below...starting with pictures of my original
hens for comparison. :D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2006, 17:11:12 »
Poor bonny wee things. :)

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2006, 17:52:21 »
They were grawrc....but have really made themselves at home
here. It's wonderful watching them experience things for the first time.
Preening, for instance. I'm sure they hav'nt done it before...
but they knew what to do ;D Even to the point of pecking
each others preening gland!! ;D They can even scratch now...
which they obviously did'nt before ;D ;D

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2006, 18:47:17 »
Ah bless them and it's good to hear they are settling in so well.  Looking forward to regular up-dates.
And are those your buff orpingtons in the first pics?

MM

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2006, 19:17:02 »
Yes...Red and Marigold ;D

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2006, 20:56:22 »
Oh, those poor hens, there must be a law that prohibits them getting into that state.   >:(  If it was any other animals, the owners would be prosecuted.

How wonderful that you are able to give them a good home Agapanthus.  I bet they think they are in heaven now.  It will give you a lot of pleasure seeing them progress over the months ahead.  I feel it may be some time though before you will be able to integrate them with your other chickens.  I have two going broody at the moment and when I take them out of the nest boxes the other chickens all go for them and peck them.  I am going to have to separate them tomorrow and put them where there is not a nest box.  I can't really raise anymore chicks at the moment.

Please keep us posted on their progress.  Have you got names for them yet?

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2006, 09:48:36 »
Aw Aga,I think you have done a wonderful thing. I'm really looking forward to seeing how your new girls progress.

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2006, 09:58:26 »
Thanks Heldi... :)
Pauline...Yes they are called..Rosie Posie, Bramble and Dimples (that's the one with the bare bottom!!) ;D ;D

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2006, 10:59:55 »
Bless you Aga.If only more people would  look past the cost of their food,and consider how it was produced.I don't watch Jimmys farm but i am so glad it highlighted the dreadful lives that battery hens have.And now you are posting these photos hopefully a few more will stop and think.The more that people buy free range eggs the cheaper they will become.A few more pence per box will not  make any difference to their lives but it will mean a huge difference in terms of the hens.

When i buy mine,I always make a point of commenting to those who also pick up the free range ones.If someone is about to choose the other kind i say" well done"rather loudly to my new found ally!! and glare at the poor shopper who does not realise what he has done to upset me.!!I have actually got a few to change their minds when i point out how much nicer they taste  and how much better lives the chickens have too!!

I hope one day Morrisons or Tescos don't cotton on!!Actually i suppose i am doing them a favour,putting more money their way!!Wonder if they will recruit me.........???
Margaret

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2006, 11:42:18 »
I doubt it Margaret...you sound too militant!! ;D ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2006, 16:46:29 »
well good for you Margaret, I think a lot of people buy without considering or knowing the conditions of battery hens, they just look at price, I used to be one of them until I saw what the poor hens look like and how they are kept, as you say a few more pence for most people is not going to make much difference in their lives. :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2006, 16:58:43 »
it's like everything else: if people refused to buy battery eggs then battery hens wouldn't exist.

My aim is to get locally produced free range organic eggs. I can get them alright in the supermarket, but I'm enough of a green fanatic not to want stuff that has travelled half way round the country before I buy it.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2006, 18:11:49 »
I tend to buy locally as well when it's possible, my eggs are as local as they get...from our garden ;D
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: April 14, 2006, 06:57:40 »
Bless them, at least they now have their forever home, i havnt got much space here, but if i moved and had land id have battery hens too, ive looked on this website,  http://www.thehenshouse.co.uk/index.html and got so upset, disgusting how they are allowed to be kept in such cruel conditions.

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2006, 00:29:53 »
had a phone cale today, i'm gonna pick up 5 rescue battery hens next sunday!  :D apparantly they're in pretty good nick, the farmer only keeps 4 in a cage as opposed to 6! they've got good fit and aren' as bad as some! fingers crossed. oh, and they're only 18 months old. does anyone live near lincoln way that wants any? PM me and i'll pass the number on for your!  :)

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2006, 12:27:28 »
Good for you Littlegem..... ;D Mine are thriving and a few feathers are growing back!!....
still very skinny tho' but I'm sure that will change eventually. They each have their own personalities...
Bramble does'nt mind cuddles....Rosie Posie is always managing to get through to the fenced off bit
of garden and I can't get Dimples out of the kitchen!! ;D ;D

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2006, 17:36:47 »
;D

What a great thing to do Aga, well done you!! Glad to hear the girls are settling in well, Dimples sounds like my kinda girl!!

;D

agapanthus

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2006, 17:44:11 »
She is definitely a little bugger!! ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal