Author Topic: nasturtiams & marigolds  (Read 4425 times)

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
Re: nasturtiams & marigolds
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2006, 03:51:01 »
begging letter on way  ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2006, 08:54:04 »

nasturtium seeds gone to the Lady with the Shed, then ;D

and my spare marigold seeds going to be companion planted with Periwinkle  ;D ;D ;D

Sorted, then.....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 09:11:02 by Alishka_Maxwell »

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2006, 10:15:34 »
Last year, I grew sage in amongst my cabbages and cauliflowers and they did seem to deter bugs from those brassicas planted next to them. The others, without sage protection, did get whitefly and a bit of nibbling by caterpillars. So i'll be digging my the sage soon and transplanting them into this year's brassica beds.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2006, 10:20:51 »
Sprout, I'm really interested in that......I've got 3 large sage bushes - 2 purple and 1 'ordinary'...they grow vigorously & I'm always pruning them...might be worth my scattering the prunings amongst the brassicas, then?

MollyBloom

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2006, 12:39:01 »
I'm new here, so I'm not sure if I should have started a new topic for this - sorry to all if I should have! Along with companion planting, I've found that so-called sacrificial planting can also be useful. For instance, pests seem to prefer Red Russian kale to the bog-standard curly type. I planted both alternately in groups last year and lost all my Red Russian, while the curly was left entirely alone - never had a better crop of it! From now on, I intend to grow RR as a sacrificial offering.
By the way, hyssop will attract lots of bees which help with vegetable pollination, so I move a few pots of it around my veg plot as needed.

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2006, 12:44:53 »
I don't know whether scattering cuttings will work as well as having the whole plant there, AM, but is surely worth a try.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2006, 13:22:00 »
I'm new here, so I'm not sure if I should have started a new topic for this - sorry to all if I should have! Along with companion planting, I've found that so-called sacrificial planting can also be useful. For instance, pests seem to prefer Red Russian kale to the bog-standard curly type. I planted both alternately in groups last year and lost all my Red Russian, while the curly was left entirely alone - never had a better crop of it! From now on, I intend to grow RR as a sacrificial offering.
By the way, hyssop will attract lots of bees which help with vegetable pollination, so I move a few pots of it around my veg plot as needed.

Good tip and thanks (AND welcome ;D)..I've always considered nasturtiums to be a 'sacrificial' plant. Lots of reading to do re:sacrificial/companion plants, all fascinating stuff.

Sprout, I'll certainly be putting my sage pruning in with my brassicas - nothing to lose and fascinating to see if whitefly will be kept away.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2006, 13:42:58 »
Is your What goes with What chart going to find its way onto the wiki?

If I can ever work out how to get it up there I will  ;D  still have a bit more to do on it ...  it's a bit like Topie ... just keeps on gorwing  :o

Don't forget fennel that attracts hoverflies too which then eat aphids  ;)
Hyssop also deters cabbage white  :D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Grant

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2006, 13:58:02 »
Had Nasturtiams growing close by to cabbages last year although not on top of them and the White Butterfly went for the Nasturtiams instead of the cabbages.  The Nasturtiams grew so fast and thick you hardly notice the caterpillar damage.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2006, 17:58:03 »

nasturtium seeds gone to the Lady with the Shed, then ;D

and my spare marigold seeds going to be companion planted with Periwinkle  ;D ;D ;D

Sorted, then.....

cheers m'dear. just a few would do if you've got any other pleaders.  ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2006, 19:52:51 »
Apparently spreading your tomato cuttings around deters flea beetle

Rosemary

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal