Author Topic: So what are you doing - right now!  (Read 17031 times)

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
Re: So what are you doing - right now!
« Reply #100 on: March 22, 2006, 00:53:39 »
Apparently it was 37c here in September, and people were sunbathing at, and swimming in the sea that is now frozen!  :o :o

So maybe things with a short growing season are fine.

But it sure puts our 'cold winter' into perspective....

Almost forgot.......MY PLANE'S FLYING TODAY!!!!!!
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #101 on: March 22, 2006, 18:12:39 »
Hopefully you're back home by now - I spent a short time in Mongolia & have very vivid memories of the rugby scrum when check-in finally opened 4 hrs late as the plane had got iced in in Russia.

Over there - vegetables - huh???  The ground is unfrozen for such a short time It really hard going to get much at all.  Diet is meat and lard.

Think I'll go & sift through my seed packets again just because.

( red onions into the ground - garlic going great guns, too early for salads & potatos in pots yet)
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #102 on: March 22, 2006, 18:19:28 »
dying of a sore back argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh
It'll be better next year

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #103 on: March 22, 2006, 18:55:06 »
Going to bed for a while. I've still got the tail end of a bad cold, and I've just spent the day dealing with the most horrendous classes. I'm ready to drop.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #104 on: March 22, 2006, 19:22:14 »
So what are you doing - right now!
I'm sitting here reading this thread of course....lol  ;D ;D ;D

Today I planted some more flower seeds and 2 Howden pumpkin seeds.  I cut up 3 x 4 pint plastic milk bottles and made labels......You've not heard of plastic milk???
I did some house cleaning and then sat back and admired my seedlings.  A year ago I was recuperating from an operation and wasn't able to be as organised as this year.  In fact I have never been as organised and inspired as I am now and I think it is all down to A4A.  Thanks folks.

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2006, 20:02:14 by Paulines7 »

tilts

• Acre
  • Boom Boom boom Boom Esso blue!
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2006, 19:38:24 »
how do you make the labels out of milk cartons?   Don't tell me there is a thread somewhere!
Tread softly or you'll tread on my dreams.....Yeats

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2006, 19:40:36 »
how do you make the labels out of milk cartons?   Don't tell me there is a thread somewhere!

Of course there is

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/joomla/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,28/topic,16176.0

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2006, 19:47:43 »
Clearing a bed ready for my red onion set to go in next week. Its been lovely and sunny here in Barnsley. Not much work on this week so nice weather means i can get down the lottie. Loved it. Robin hope your home safe up at Houghton. Also sowing TOmatoes, peppers and marigolds.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2006, 19:54:47 »
Ooh northerner, nostalgia for Barnsley :P I used to live in Saltaire and save up to go shopping in Polyanna :D

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2006, 21:21:04 »
Is that a clothes shop in Wombwell?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2006, 22:27:58 »
On Market Hill, on the right, before you get to the bottom of the hill and the bus station ;)

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2006, 23:32:21 »
.Diet is meat and lard

Ah yes! Just back from Poland and the bread and Lard :o

Bread is really nice ;) Did eat Lard and 4 times normal food for a week and still lost quarter stone ???

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #112 on: March 23, 2006, 08:56:24 »
Yesterday I was so fed up with the continuing freeze that I indulged myself in the local market and bought bright red primulas for some cheery hanging baskets along with Tête-à-tête daffs.  They also had an offer of 4 drumstick primulas for €5 and a 3' acer Beni-Maiko for only €15 so that came home too and on the way I picked up two 70 litre bags of compost and some tomato fertiliser to perk thing up.   

This all meant I have had to nick OH's half of the garage as a potting shed so this morning I've moved some plants I had sheltering in the bull shed and put back my potting table in the garage which has a handy water supply.   Now I'm off to cut down the dead stalks from the various grasses before the promised winds and rain arrive this evening.   Feeling a lot better now having been frozen out of the garden since the surprise snow storm in November.

I might even get my Japanese onion beds hoed and titivate the bed where the replacement broad beans will go.  The October sowing is now a black mush.
Obxx - Vendée France

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #113 on: March 23, 2006, 09:01:24 »
Yes, it's nice to get the black mush cleared away and start over (sigh) ::)
What is a bull shed obbelix? ???

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #114 on: March 23, 2006, 15:09:39 »
well apart from sitting here reading these messages...I'm 'nursing' a very painful stiff back (permanently got spondylitis & fibromyalgia anyway) but not grumbling cos yesterday - in the lovely sunshine, I managed after preparing the soil a bit & getting a nice tilth on it, to plant 2 rows of white onion sets, 2 rows of red onion sets & 2 rows of shallots!!....

have now got a lottie buddie to 'share' my plot cos of my continued low back probs....she's amazing - she's been great & dug my bit for me too cos I've just not been able to do it but don't want to give up my lottie. I not only enjoy the fresh veggies & cooking them as part of my 'normal' meals but love all the 'fiddling about' involved in makes preserves of various sorts & freezing when necessary. I spend more time at the kitchen sink I think than I actually do at the allotment!

Still not got my garlic in yet - sort of hoped yesterday that maybe I'd be able to nip up there again today and get them in before the rains come tonight (so the forecasters say) but right now, can't nip anywhere  ???

Sorry for the ramble, live alone & nice to 'chat' to people in this way.

H.P.

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #115 on: March 23, 2006, 15:55:29 »
i must admit to getting board to day so i planted my garlic out in the garden plot that i should be using for flowers  but its been in pots for ages now and was getting worried that id miss getting any garlic if i left it any longer  then i noticed there was a space that needed to be filled (empty pots ) so iv washed and dried and tomorrow ill sow seeds  ;D and start praying for warmer weather from now  8) its been nice to day but the wind is chilly  iv also read my seeds packets again and wrote out a list of when i need to plant

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #116 on: March 23, 2006, 16:02:02 »
Sitting here, waiting for the word that my Mothers Day Present--a ton of 'muck'---has been dropped off at the allotment. I have to gallop up there and move it as soon as I can.BUT........while I'm waiting I have just made the cornflour goo ready for making seed strips (as in top tips).Now I'm going to plot my plot while the goo cools. Better late than never !  :)
Smile, it confuses people.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #117 on: March 23, 2006, 17:48:08 »
Sitting in front of the computer feeling frustrated. I'm still well under the weather, my wife's got flu, she couldn't sleep, I couldn't sleep, and then I had mad Year 8's most of the day. Aaaargh!

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #118 on: March 23, 2006, 18:39:02 »
Hey Robert, don't know what subject you teach, but wouldn't it be good if it was history, you could get those year 8s to dig over your allotment in the hopes of finding something 'historical'. ;D

Mine's available......................
Smile, it confuses people.

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2006, 18:55:53 »
i've just rearraged the conservatory -ours is a 'working conservatory'none f yer pretty wicker seating in 'ere matey!

plenty of chitting taters -ready for good friday planting,my dads traditional planting day....checked the leeks in there..moved my fuschia and begonia cuttings in there from the kitchen-ah!THERES the sink!!

checked a4a for the problem with my pepper seeds-thanks sanders-he'd answered someone else with the same prob-damping off?use vermiculite with the next lot kitty!

planted some cuc and tom  seeds -with vermiculite!....now?

feet up prior to egg and chips provided by management-see ,-i had a colonoscopy yesterday and i'm too sickly to move today....well..to the cooker anyway! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)hahahahaha!
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal