Author Topic: compost types  (Read 1534 times)

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
compost types
« on: March 06, 2006, 08:55:14 »
I don't like growbags, and have decided to grow all my tomatoes , cucumbers etc in large pots this year. Will all-purpose compost do the job, or should I buy growbags, & empty them into my pots?
JeremyB

Curryandchips

• Hectare
Re: compost types
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 10:44:59 »
I use growbags emptied into pots, and have had reasonable success, but not done a comparison with compost ...
The impossible is just a journey away ...

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 11:36:59 »
So long as you feed regularly, sawdust might do it!

weedgrower

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 15:09:07 »
multi purpose compost works for me but i like to fill my bucket one third with well rotted manure at the bottom. when the roots hit that they take off
takes over your life doesn't it

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 23:05:02 »
I have grown a lot in pots filled with grow bags and had good results. The main reason I've used growbags is that at the time of buying they worked out cheaper than other compost this year it is the other way around so will be filling my containers with multipurpose I hope they do as well.

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 11:13:51 »
If the big growers can put them in rock wool and feed them down a pipe i reckon your tom's will be living it up, as a bucket full of all purpose compost will be the equivelent to the riz !!

I hope it does work sven as thats what i plan to do this yr for my green house tom's and cucumbers and aubergine and peppers chilli's gherkin's and if theres any rooms left ill be most suprised ! did i mention okra

carl
another member of i forgot my password

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 10:46:34 »
That's good to know, as whenever I do get to a garden centre, I always seem to pick up a couple of bags of compost "just in case"!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal