Author Topic: Fruit trees  (Read 1039 times)

nippie

• Acre
Fruit trees
« on: March 08, 2006, 19:52:17 »
Advice please. My Gala apple and Victoria plum trees arrived today.
I know, before they are planted I should mix some good compost in the hole but how deep do they need to be planted. Also should they be staked and what size stake should I use. The actual trees at the moment are around 5ft.
Thanks for your help.
Friendship isn't a big thing.
Its a million little things.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 20:05:44 »
Think it depends on the soil you have there as to whether you add compost or not. Mine is heavy clay, and digging a planting hole and then filling it with looser stuff would just create a sump which would fill with water, and might waterlog the roots. So I tend to put a decent mulch of compost around after planting, but not right up against the base of the tree. Dig a hole about a metre square, or more if the roots require it. Make sure you don't plant trees too close together.

Have a good look at the base of the trees, you should see a soil line indicating where they were planted before. The knobbly graft should be about 10 cm above soil level I guess. Put a plank across the hole when its dug to help line the tree up.

I don't stake, but if you want to, then put the stake on the windward side of the tree, so that when the wind blows, it isn't knocking the tree onto the stake.
A stake about 10cm square by about 1.2 metres long will do. Inspect the tie regularly to ensure it doesn't cut into the tree as it grows.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal