Author Topic: How much to grow to keep a family fed?  (Read 5873 times)

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Re: How much to grow to keep a family fed?
« Reply #40 on: March 10, 2006, 21:41:28 »

Please be aware here, I am not being critical of sfg, I am just being cautious of 'claims' for fantastic gains over conventional methods. I also accept that conventional methods are not necessarily 'efficient' but have evolved over centuries to suit local demands.

Hi Curry,

First things first, be as critical of sfg or any other methods or techniques that I might suggest if you don't agree with them.  Fortunately I'm old enough to realise that a criticism of my methods is not a criticism of me personally.  The method of planting that I'm trying is more on the lines of the raised bed principles which can be found in any modern gardening book with all of its advantages explained there.  The sfg just tends to tighten up on planting distances.  The author Mel Bartholomew claims that he has been gardening by this method since 1978, which is nearly 30 years with no problems with soil fertility.  Having said that on his site this year he is recommending in making your own soil mix so perhaps he is now experiencing problems, but still this is after 30 years.
Lastly if you don't try new methods how can you advance?  I can always go back to the traditional methods if it fails.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2006, 23:02:36 »
Couldn't agree more Mike B. You have to experiment to progress.

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2006, 11:39:30 »
mel b reccommends that you fertilise each sq ft after each harvest to support the heavy cropping.  he also mulches with compost and the like.  the reason mel mixes his own soil is because the sfg approach does not use your regular soil.  each 4 ft bed is lined with weed suppressant membrane and then filled with his soil mix.  they are simply 4 sft containers if you like.  i have used the sfg approach for the past 2 years.  it has its advantages as well as its disavantages.  this year, on a new plot i have taken over, i will combine some sfg techniques with tradtional methods.  the best of both worlds as i see it.  the MAJOR advatage of sfg is the block planting, as there is less space wastage.  i will be using this method for most crops on my new plot where beds measure 1m x 5m.
It'll be better next year

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal