Author Topic: Old Signs Wanted By Collector  (Read 6993 times)

Old Enamel Signs

Old Signs Wanted By Collector
« on: March 07, 2006, 13:16:27 »
Hi there, we have been collecting old advertising signs for 30 years now and have bought many of them off allotment owners. It seems that the old enamel advertising signs produced in the thousands between 1880 and 1930 ended up on allotments. The enamel and iron backed signs have often stood the test of time and can still be found blocking up holes in shed walls, roofs and fences.

These signs can be worth a lot of money to us. We are also trying to catalogue all the pictorial signs from this period and would appreciate any help from allotment owners who may have found them.

Please email me on enamelsigns@yahoo.co.uk or call 07941 971039

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
Re: Old Signs Wanted By Collector
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 15:00:33 »
I do not think the site is for things like this just for members to sell to each other.
I am sure i will be corrected if i am wrong, but that is what we were given to understand.

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 16:09:05 »
Dear Rosebud,

I think you are right in that the main function of E-Buybumbay is to sell from members to other members, I can't see anything wrong with a member making a few quid selling an old sign covering a hole in the shed, and spending the money on mending the shed. I speak as someone with an old BP Petroleum Spirit Union Jack enamelled sign, removed this afternoon having seen it may be of value, and not wanting to lose it to some thieving git like so many bits and pieces over the years.

Brian

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 18:25:49 »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 20:03:19 »
What a lovely hobby, I do hope some of the members here can help you out and make a few bob for themselves and for the site at the same time.  I love those old signs and I'm also fond of old posters such as those printed to encourage people to travel to the seaside etc and old theatre bill posters.  I'm not a collector though.  As others have said I think this thread was intended as an extension to the swap shop but I see no harm in your request. 

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 23:07:58 »
Brian i wasen`t  being a mean old witch about the post, i was just worried that as word got about peeps would just join to buy & sell things it would then turn into something it wasen`t meant to be no offence intended.  I hope you make shed  :P loads of money from your sign.  Cheers Rosebud. ;D ;D ;D.

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2006, 02:20:23 »
Shame about the Pratts Motor Spirit sign I took to the tip at the weekend.  :'(
(Limited appeal joke)

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2006, 20:39:33 »
These signs can be worth a lot of money to us.

I'm not sure that Brian's motives are totally altruistic??

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2006, 07:41:48 »
YOU BET!

Brian

moudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 21:18:39 »
Believe it or not I collect old enamel signs and bottles  as well being an allotment holder.  If you want any enamel signs or old bottles honestly valued........ with no strings, feel free to contact me.Some can be very valuable.
It had never occurred to me to post looking for signs or bottles.....I thought it was a tad mercenary. But hey !........... ::)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 21:44:36 »
When we  had new petrol pumps fitted  we gave one of the National signs (remember the ones that were on top of the pumps which were lit up?) to my daughter and one to my son. The one belonging to my son got broken but my daughter still has hers. She has been approached a couple of times to sell it., she absolutely refuses to sell it
as it was given to her by her (late) Dad. It seems they are also collectable.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 22:47:47 »
Hi Moudie, ;) I would love to see some of your collection of bottles and signs, I’m a great fan of these car booty shows on TV (sad I know) not that I collect much, so maybe you could post some images of a few of your items in the ‘Gallery’ or the ‘Shed’ just a few at a time while we are waiting for spring. :)

Here’s my offering that I found under an old Canadian Pine House a good few years ago, probably not worth a light but I love it. 8)

myrtle

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 07:41:49 »
If you want any enamel signs or old bottles honestly valued........ with no strings, feel free to contact me.
You may regret saying that, Moudie,  I've got hundreds of the darn things! :)

moudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2006, 21:18:26 »
Hi Moudie, ;) I would love to see some of your collection of bottles and signs, I’m a great fan of these car booty shows on TV (sad I know) not that I collect much, so maybe you could post some images of a few of your items in the ‘Gallery’ or the ‘Shed’ just a few at a time while we are waiting for spring. :)

Here’s my offering that I found under an old Canadian Pine House a good few years ago, probably not worth a light but I love it. 8)

OK - I'll post some pics in the gallery  ....

moudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2006, 21:30:35 »
Here's a better idea...............this great site shows loads of old bottles etc.......including some of my own....Enjoy ;)

http://www.bottlebidder.com/gallery/

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 22:02:15 »
Bottle collecting is a big thing....maybe a new topic outside of 'Enamel signs'?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal