Author Topic: black gold (the compost came)  (Read 2001 times)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
black gold (the compost came)
« on: March 05, 2006, 19:23:22 »

Yesterday we picked up our seed order from the allotment association, we had also ordered compost and didn't realize it came the same day. It was the first time we were able to get compost through the association.
Not planning to do any garden work we were not dressed for shoveling and riding wheel barrows to our lottie which is quite a walk from the clubhouse. We managed to deposit 10 of our 20 wheelbarrows full on top of the snow on our lottie, it looks like some giant mole has been foraging, leaving ernormous piles. The other 10 we'll do when the muscle ache is gone. You can still see the snow on the compost in the second picture.

Breaking news: Mr. C. recently finished the website about our allotment complex and................even put an English language version on it. The garden portraits is my department. Take a look if you'd like to see how we do lotties in Holland, just click the Union Jack. You may even like to leave a comment in the guestbook, that would be nice.
www.volkstuindersvereniginghoornenomstreken.nl

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: black gold (the compost came)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 19:32:57 »
Nice to see you again Ina. Looking good again!
And for anyone who has not visited their website GO NOW!
Gardening is the great leveller.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 19:57:53 »
Out of hibernation at last, Ina?

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 20:00:38 »
It's spring isn't it?

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 20:04:04 »
Hi Ina,  :D

Thankyou for showing us your plot. I enjoyed seeing your pictures and portraits.
At first everything looked just like the UK but so much tidier and so many more plots than I usually see. (There are only 25 on my site). But your last picture looks just like the Uk with its plastic greenhouses and sheds. What is the black box on legs (picture 25) ?.

Thanks again, Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 20:26:10 »
This is what we get on my site; the nearer pile is grass cuttings, the big one in the background is dead leaves. They're delivered from local housing estates, and the arrangement saves the contractor the cost of taking it to the tip, so both sides gain. You just take whatever you want.

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 21:12:12 »
Hi Ina,  :D

Thankyou for showing us your plot. I enjoyed seeing your pictures and portraits.
At first everything looked just like the UK but so much tidier and so many more plots than I usually see. (There are only 25 on my site). But your last picture looks just like the Uk with its plastic greenhouses and sheds. What is the black box on legs (picture 25) ?.

Thanks again, Col

Funny you should mention the last picture, it was taken on a different and smaller complex called Lijndraaier, actually it's like an annex. There is not much contact between the two sites but officially we are in the same organisation. The rules, like building codes, are not adhered to as stricktly there as on our complex. As for the black box on legs, it's a garden tool box.

Robert, what a perfect arrangement you have with the contractor who dumps the grass cuttings and leaves at your site. The compost we got is free from the central composting plant located near another town where all the biological household waste and other garden refuse from the area goes. Once a year people can go there and take as much as they want but for people like us, without a car, we can't get it. Our organisation had to pay for the container rental and transport so the allotmenteers can buy it for 80 Euro cents a wheelbarrow to pay for the expenses.

Thanks for the compliments, I passed them on to Mr. C. There will be more portraits once the season has started.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 23:23:44 »
Lovely lovely compost Ina.  Will you be using that as a mulch?
And Mr C, the website is great, very interesting, clear and easy to view and use!  Excellent photos also.  I do love nosing around other peoples allotments, and seeing those sunny fruitful pics made me long for summer! ;D

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 07:27:39 »
Ina, lovley to see you back on here, and I really enjoyed looking at your website, reminders of the warm weather we have to come and how things will look.  Thank you.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 09:17:19 »
Wow ina, you have made me determined now to get hold of a supply like this - our local council keep promising to bring wood chips, but a year later, still none :-\. Fantastic. ;D

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 10:14:52 »
Lovely to see this Ina, and I enjoyed looking at the website very much.

We are similarly blessed at our site, and a lovely pile of compost was delivered last week - though not a big trailer full like yours! It comes from Cardiff City Council recycling plant. We don't get leaves or grass cuttings - but we do get wood chippings and also manure from the stables across the road, all put centrally so you just help yourself. You can also have a load of manure on your plot for a small tip to the tractor driver!

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 15:03:53 »
Nice to see you surfacing again Ina  ;D  As always your allotment is beautiful.  I have decided that I have a bit of a fetish............ I just love to see what other folks do with their little bit of ground.  I'm the same on train journeys ... love nosing at peoples back gardens just to see what they have done.  I'm sad I know :-[  :-[
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 15:34:38 »
took p's advice........your site & produce looks amazing ina :)
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

sueparkin

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 15:54:37 »
Mimi

Do you think there is a word for people who love looking at the back gardens on train journeys. I thought I was the only only one with that particular fetish. I think its because front gardens tend to be quite conventional but people really show their true selves round the back. I'll be spending six hours on the train on Friday and I'm really looking forward to seeing if there is a noticeable difference in the flowers out as I get further south.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal