Author Topic: Jonagold from Wilko's  (Read 2092 times)

chickenfeet

• Not So New ...
Jonagold from Wilko's
« on: February 27, 2006, 12:21:19 »
Hi,

I bought a jonagold apple tree from wilkos and planted it last week. The card that came with it was very short on info but did say that it is self fertile. After looking in my book and on the internet it seems that Jonagold is one of the worst pollinators and requires two other varieties to pollinate succesfully, which is rather annoying.
I was wondering if it is possible that this one is self-fertile, maybe a different strain of jonagold or something?
If not, can anyone reccomend any good pollination partners for it?

Thank you

Sprout

• Acre
Re: Jonagold from Wilko's
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 12:46:21 »
I'm sorry that I can't provide an answer to your query but that sort of thing is one reason why I didn't buy any fruit trees from Wilkos. Although cheap, I was discouraged by the lack off any useful cultivation/after care instructions. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 13:16:05 »
The bad news is that Jonagold is a so-called triploid, which means that its pollen is sterile (or nearly so).  You need TWO other trees if you want them all to bear fruit. (You could plant one other to pollinate the Jonagold, but then the companion tree would bear little or no fruit).

Garden Action says that Jonagold is a mid-season flowerer: http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/fruit_veg_diary/fruit_veg_mini_project_september_2_apple_jonagold.htm

This is an excellent link: http://www.keepers-nursery.co.uk/searchpolpartner.aspx?id=JONAGO

You've got plenty of choice.  Just choose two other apple which flowers at about the same time (avoiding any more triploids, though).

I just also found this: .... before leaving the issue of pollination:
The pollen of some apple varieties is sterile, so don't rely on these as your pollinizers. Examples are Jonagold, Mutsu, Stayman and Winesap.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 18:25:34 »
Unless you're living miles from human habitation, you can probably assume there's another apple within range for pollination! Don't worry about needing two pollinators; the situation is that a triploid produces sterile pollen. So it needs a second variety to pollinate it. Unless the second variety is self-fertile, the third is needed to provide pollen for the second.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 18:29:01 by Robert_Brenchley »

Mave

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 14:42:57 »
The Jonagold apple tree I bought from Aldi yesterday gives quite a lot of information on the pack stating that it needs two pollinators.  These being either Granny Smith, Cox’s Orange, Elstar or Golden Delicious.  Luckily a new tenant on the plot near me has bought about a dozen apple trees including the pollinators I will need for mine.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal