Author Topic: Plot path & edging..  (Read 2183 times)

fluffygrue

• Acre
Plot path & edging..
« on: March 02, 2006, 10:32:03 »
So my new plot's path is currently wonky, not really defined, and being encroached on by the neighbour's manure pile. Currently under some folded plastic to form a kind of path, held down by some pots presumably belonging to the neighbour.. I'd quite like to get the path sorted soon, to define where exactly my plot boundary is, and to make it useable.

So.. what sort of path do I have? I was thinking of just laying down wood chips, but presumably I'll need to edge that with something to prevent it from spilling out onto the neighbouring plot? What do I edge it with, assuming I don't want to attract loads of slugs..?

Don't really want grass to mow, and don't really want anything expensive..

Melanie

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: Plot path & edging..
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 13:01:03 »
Hi Melanie, If you go to "Search" and type in paths you will come across a few threads which might help.  I have all my beds edged in recycled wood, mainly got from skips,  then  put weed supressing fabric down and bark chippings on top.  You can keep a look out for slugs, but I haven't had too many problems with my system.  I have tried to get rid of as much grass as possible on my plot as you have to mow it or it spreads into the beds.  busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 14:25:52 »
Hi fluffygrue, as busy-lizzie says, there are some good posts on making bed edgings (and adam04 has just posted superb pix of his new beds).
However, I am a confirmed no-edger.
Paths between beds are just bare earth which I tidy up at the start of the year and scuff off weeds if they grow with a hoe, bringing the topsoil onto the beds. The three long paths - up the length of the plot - are the woven black plastic 1m wide, one is covered with wood chips and the other two ain't.
So you don't HAVE to edge your beds or build a slug hotel to have a bed and path system ;D

« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 14:29:35 by supersprout »

fluffygrue

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 16:35:25 »
Apologies, I realise now that you folk must be sick of us newbies asking the same questions.. Here I was thinking it was an unusual question.. Oops! :)

Reading back I've read some good advice, but arr, so many decisions to make..!

Ta,
Melanie

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 17:11:08 »
he he melanie no edging keeps it very simple ;). All questions are welcome here, this subject has generated lots of interesting traffic in recent threads so makes sense to point to it. True lotti-ers ALWAYS love to be asked for their opinion :-*
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 17:13:18 by supersprout »

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 22:08:37 »
I've been a bit leary about taking topsoil off my paths - had visions of Blackadder Goes Forth  :D. Do you take it all the way down to the subsoil?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 22:25:33 »
Oo baldrick, I haven't struck subsoil yet bupster, I just scrape off whatever comes off with the weeds and throw it on the bed. If it ever gets that far I will start to cover the paths with newspaper and straw, but it ain't got that far yet! See path on the right of the bed below. The path is a little sunken cos of the scraping, and because it gets trodden. The bed is getting higher cos it doesn't get trodden on and gets mulched.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 22:33:29 by supersprout »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal