Author Topic: James,our dog  (Read 2639 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
James,our dog
« on: February 18, 2006, 10:29:43 »
Today I have a hollow feeling in the pit of my stomach, because I know it is going to be a very difficult day.  James our dog, who is 15 this year, has been failing for a while now, but this last week he has deteriorated quite a lot and he has an appointment at the Vets at 1.00.  We think the outcome will not be a good one.

The trouble is it is not straightfoward as most things in life aren't.  The minus's in his life are that he has a bad cough and at times he pants and wheezes for breath, also he finds it difficult to walk and can often not get up and needs help. On the plus side, he is still continent, he barks to be out when he needs to do something. Although he totters on his feet, he sniffs the air and clearly enjoys his time outside.  He loves his food and clears his bowl at meal times without any trouble and barks for his treats. He wags his tail a lot when people come near and seems to still have that spark of stubborness he has always had. 

So this last week we have veered from one opinion to the other: he is an old man, 98 in human years, he has lived a happy life and been adored, with his every need catered for and it is time to let him go.  His cough is distressing as is his panting for breath, and to see him walk breaks your heart.  Then you see him peacefully sleeping and giving a gentle snore and see his hearty appetite and the spark that is still there when he enjoys his time outside. Yesterday though we bit the bullet and spoke to the Vet and he has the last appointment of the day.  A friend is giving us a lift there with him, and if as we think it will be, his last journey, we will bring him home and he will have a resting place underneath our lawn in the garden, which he loved sniffing around. 

You know when you have a pet that there will be pain to accompany the great pleasure of  love and companionship you get from them, but when you have to let them go,  it is hard.  I had hoped that the decision would be made for us and one morning we would find he had passed away in his sleep, but no he is still here and we are forced into that horrible decision.  There are greater horrors and hurts in this life, but I know I will probably cry quite a lot of tears today.  :'( busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Paulines7

• Hectare
Re: James,our dog
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 12:33:59 »
Busy_Lizzie, I don't know what to say and nothing I can say or do will alleviate the pain that you will be going through today.  I am really feeling for you and wish you strength through this difficult time.  You have given James a good life and will always remember him with love and affection. 

As you say in your post, the great pleasure, companionship and love that goes with having a pet will always be followed by pain when we have to say goodbye and that is why many people reading your post, including myself, will have tears too, knowing what you are enduring today.   :'( :'( :'(

Thinking of you Busy_Lizzie,
Pauline

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 16:30:23 »
BL I'm so sorry. It is indeed a very sad time for you and you must hurt like hell. I've had to make that decision with a dog I've had in the past and I cried for weeks. My dog Cassie is 15 too and is showing signs of slowing down. I try not to think of the day that may be looming but it haunts me when I see her not get up the stairs like she used. Awful awful awful.

All the pleasure they have given to us over the years,they are worth the pain at the end.

:'(

Thinking of you BL.

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2006, 16:33:50 »
I really am so sorry, I hope everything goes 'ok' for you. Sometimes it is better to put them out of their misery and let them go dignified and peacefully. My thoughts are with you, Dan

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 16:36:58 »
BL Not that long ago went through the same thing with 2 of my old boys. If you need a chat PM me BL. I am here for you and know exactly what you are going through.

Jill xx

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 20:25:23 »
BL have only just seen this post. Just to say my thoughts are with you. After having to have our last Labrador  put to sleep, she wasn't  very old (10) but she lost the use of her legs. I said never again will I have a dog BUT  guess who has still got a dog.
Just think of all the wonderful good times and the good life you gave him.  Lorna.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2006, 21:26:59 »
BL, so sad for you, so sad you may have  to loose a best mate, am thinking of you, DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Colin_Bellamy-Wood

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2006, 22:06:20 »
Oh! Busy Lizzie, I'm crying for you as I type this.   I've been through your hurt, and I know what you are going through.   
What a lovely idea to place James under the lawn, he won't be far away from you.   I had my Annie cremated, and her "box" is on the piano, so that I can blow her a kiss each morning, and each evening.   
My thoughts are with you at this difficult time - may your God be with you, to ease your pain.
Every best wish, Colin.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 12:22:00 »
BL, my heart's going out to you.

Love Lishka x

mrsnesbitt

• Not So New ...
  • people have been telling me I need help!
    • denisebydesigns
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 14:10:49 »
BL, I dont come here much as I am new to veg growing, but I am not new to owning & caring for pets. My thoughts are with you now...
Dxx
Check out the progress as we set out growing our own for the first time!

http://mrsnesbittsplace.blogspot.com/

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 17:01:38 »
Thank you all so much for your lovely words of comfort.  You have no idea how much it means to me.  Our little dog is gone now as we expected. He was a Cavalier Kings Charles Spaniel and as the Vet said they only usual manage to live 10 years at the most, so to have had almost 15 years with him  has been a huge bonus.  I have been very upset, both yesterday and today, as it is difficult to get used to not having him around.  I can't help the tears that keep filling my eyes, which sort of annoys me as there is so much more horror in the world for others to cope with, especially when I know it wasn't kind to keep him here.

I will get used to it I am sure and we have plenty of photos and videos and lots of happy memories to draw on. At least I know he is resting  now underneath our lawn and I can sit outside on the bench and think of him.  Thanks so much once again for all of your kindnesses.   :( busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2006, 17:18:48 »
busy-lizzie. There is not much I can say except I am so sorry. Elsa is a King Charles cavalier (blenheim) she is 6, I didn't know that their life expectancy is only 10years.. Yes there are horrors going on all around us but for now it is understandable that you are thinking of your loss., Best wishes Lorna

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2006, 17:49:47 »
BL I have been thinking of you all weekend, saying goodbye is so hard whatever the situation.  You gave him a very loving and happy home and he has been so lucky to have you as his family, I am sure he will have been as glad to have known you as you him.  Cherish your memories.  Must run and get a tissue before anyone sees me!!  Take care.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2006, 20:38:55 »
Cavalier King Charles are a noble breed and have the right to free travel on public transport dating back, I believe, to the time of Charles 1 (head chopped off 1649).
They do however have a large number of health problems due to the inbreeding - largely associated with heart I understand.

We have friends who have CKC so we  have been able to enjoy their company and good humour. What merry little dogs they are!

I think that 15 is a grand old age for a CKC. Mostly they die of natural causes long before then.

It's never easy to have your best mate "put down" but realistically it's sometimes a decision you have to take. Quality of life for him/ versus how much I am going to miss her.

Think of the 15 great years you've had together and the fun and the love and the walks..
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 16:44:11 by grawrc »

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2006, 23:53:20 »
I am lost for words as this has come as a shock, me being a first time owner of a King Charles Cavalier, they are not dogs, they are mates, they are the closest thing you will have as a devoted friend who will love you and everyone around you.

Fifteen is a very good age for a KC Cavalier, even so my thoughts are with you, he must have given you many years of happiness, think of all the good times, every day must have been full of them, that I am sure.
 ;)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 10:48:25 »
Just seen this thread... :(
I'm so sorry James is no longer with you. Thinking of you and sending hugs.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 22:15:17 »
Oh BL, I am so very sorry for you loss.  People who have never had a pet shrug this sort of thing off, saying they are only animals, but we know they are more than that.  We know they are friends and companions.  Sending you lots of love.

Emma
x

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 23:01:17 »
This is for you and your family BL.  :)

In memory of James
[/b]

Oh, when we get to Heaven
We hope that we will find
The souls that once we loved
Who left us all behind.

Some left us at the right time
They left this world in peace
Others left too sudden
Without the chance to say Goodbye,
They were gone before we had
The chance to even cry.

There's a special place for grownups
A special place for kids
Me? I'll be on the other side
The side called Rainbow Bridge.

Across the dark green meadow
A'top the hills I'll run
Where the colors from the rainbow
Glitter from the sun.

And there I'll find my sweetheart
Running fast toward me
In my arms where he belongs
for all eternity

Thinking of you BL XXX

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 19:04:26 »
I have only just come across this thread bl.  I am so sorry, my heart goes out to you as I have been where you are now.  But time is a great healer and as you say you have lots of happy memories which in time is what you will recall and not all the pain you are feeling now.

MM x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal