Author Topic: Sweet peas again  (Read 1495 times)

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
Sweet peas again
« on: May 07, 2006, 20:54:14 »
Can anyone tell me how tall sweet peas grow and what is the best way to support them?  Canes or netting.  Many thanks.

luath

• Not So New ...
Re: Sweet peas again
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 23:24:51 »
If you're growing for showing, then netting, but for house/garden use, then canes are fine - they will twine their tendrils round the canes and each other for support.  A wigwam of ordinary canes will do fine, it's what I use, sometimes stringing garden twine between the canes, but they don't really need it.  I have some of those silver coloured twisty supports that were donated to me, and the look quite good growing up them - the blue sweet peas this year.
Left to their own devices, they will grow to 8 - 9 ft in good soil, but you can just pinch out the tops; as well as controlling the height, this gives lots of side-shoots to give more flowers.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Re: Sweet peas again
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 06:57:57 »
If you want good straight stems then grow them up canes, remove the tendrils as they can go round the stems and bend them.Tie under the leaves using raffia, when they get to the top using 7 feet canes,cut the ties and lower the plants along the row then you can take them up again.They can grow at least 10 feet doing this.Some exhibitors lower them when they are only about 4 feet so as to avoid doing it in the maddle of the shows.

Can anyone tell me how tall sweet peas grow and what is the best way to support them?  Canes or netting.  Many thanks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal