Author Topic: Pond weed  (Read 2389 times)

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
Pond weed
« on: May 01, 2006, 20:01:28 »
Hi, where oh works there is a neglected pond,it has fish in it .oh has removed all the blanket weed.What weed should she restock it with?

Margaret

• Hectare
  • My precious granddaughter Lauren
Re: Pond weed
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 21:51:37 »
Hi grotbag

For quick growing ,oxygenating weed that doesn't need planting,you cannot beat Hornwort.It regenerates each year too.It would also be a good idea to get some duckweed which will shade the surface and help prevent the blanketweed coming back.

Why do places of work start off with a nice pond,put fish in it then neglect it?Good on your other half,i say.But in the long term i am afraid it will need more than just fresh weed.If it hasn't got a pump and filter and the fish need to be fed it will get bad again.Can anyone be persuaded to get it sorted out properly?

I had this situation years ago at a locaL hospital where i went to work.It was dreadfully neglected and i made a big fuss.Another pond had been built and was not being used so i asked around till i got permission to move them.A chap who was the groundsman helped me and i begged and borrowed from my local aquatic centre,all the equipment needed to set it up with a pump and filter.I was angry that the  fish had been  so neglected,and was glad when they were put into the new pond.For 3 years i looked after the pond even after i left the job,and eventually i enlisted the help of others to make sure it was attended to.
Margaret

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 20:20:19 »
Thanx for your help Margaret,Oh is going to try for some freebies at local aquatic shop.

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 09:33:25 »
Hi Margaret. I thought that I had better get myself some hogwort, and decided to google it to find suppliers.
What I found was this www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/s/31/31491_horses_in_weed_horror.html - 23k -
which is a bit frightening. I knew all about ragwort - but this article seems to equate this with hogwort.
Have you any idea what the situation is?
JeremyB

Margaret

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 15:37:17 »
Jeremy,if you read my post again you will see i said HORNWORT not HOGWORT!!!Only ever heard of hogworts in Harry Potter films!!It is the common name for Ceratophyllum Demersum.

I am now going to source it for you if i can.Where do you live,anywhere near Lincolnshire? Because in 2 months time i shall have bucketfulls of the stuff to throw it,it really does grow that well.

Back in a mo.
Margaret

Margaret

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 16:02:17 »
ok,try this 

www.pondplants.co.uk/pages/files/core/oxygenators.shtml

www.aquatics-direct.co.uk and you will find it under live plants.has a picture there
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 16:19:44 by Margaret »
Margaret

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 22:58:44 »
You forgot to mention the old favourite "Parrots Feather" as well Margaret!

Margaret

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 13:11:50 »
Oh hi Anthony.

Thats probably because i haven't got any room left for it!!None on the go at the moment but i would like to get some more.The reason i thought Hornwort was the best is cos the original poster on the thread,Grotbag,needed a fast growing weed that would help with the blanketweed.And as it doesn't need to be planted up there would be no further expense or hassle involved

How are you and your young family doing?
Margaret

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 07:25:02 »
Ah! - must be more careful in future!
Unfortunately I live at the other end of the Country - in Cumbria, so could not collect any from you, but I will follow the link & buy some on line.
Regards
JeremyB

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal