Author Topic: Gardeners' World special  (Read 13973 times)

Zippy Seale

• Half Acre
  • Laughing all the way to the plot
    • The Cherry Tree Plot
Re: Gardeners' World special
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2006, 22:13:11 »
I'm easily pleased I know, but I agree that most people with allotments or growing veg could do with a series on the BBC, similar to ITV's series "The Allotment".  I haven't been able to borrow it, but I've read on other posts there were loads of hints and tips.
I think a year on the plot, more of a gardening programme with tips and growers secrets, is more of the series I watch, rather than a documentry like airport...etc.
they say it wouldn't grow.....ha

The Cherry Tree Plot

Art of Sowing

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2006, 22:47:40 »
Not quite on topic, but in reply to questions below -

Victorian kitchen garden DVD - Play.com seems to be the cheapest (it's also where I bought it from last year)  it's £15.99 and free postage on any order of any size.  http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=search&searchtype=allproducts&searchstring=victorian+kitchen+garden&page=search&Go.x=0&Go.y=0

victorian kitchen garden book - I have had this from the library for the last 6 months; it is out of print and I have finally got a copy off EBay; which arrived last week; fantastic book; which inspired me to grw Chinese Artichookes this year, as he gives a good tip on harvesting them to keep them white.  If anyone is near Newbury; the library book will be returned next week!!!

mat

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2006, 22:52:11 »
just watched it on vid (yay, I can still work the vcr). Am amazed by Robert's story, I'll have to watch it again and look out for her .. presumably the hopalong lady chatting about the last summerhouse???
And I thought we had probs!
Sorry to hear about the tribulations.
Enjoyed the show though.
I will finish it, one day

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2006, 19:13:20 »
Just watched the prog myself. hadn't seen it before although it was a repeat . Quite good - better than the last one they did on allotments methinks.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2006, 16:53:00 »
:( Well it WAS a repeat was'nt it!!
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

stuffed

• Half Acre
  • Hi from Milton Keynes
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2006, 17:08:14 »
Well I no longer have TV so don't have to suffer the annoying frequency of repeats anymore.
I just couldn't stand the rubbish they show any longer. Okay so there are exceptions but overall TV just ain't worth the price you pay anymore IMHO.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2006, 17:47:18 »
Robert - if you want to slate someone with your pals, may I suggest that you do it by PM & not in public.

You might soon be liable?

A later PS - & reminder that not only our few doz regulars, or our thousand or so 'lurkers' - but anyone who Googles allotments, worldwide, has access to your comments. Yes??
« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 20:44:48 by tim »

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2006, 18:05:12 »
Yes it definately was a repeat, I started to watch it and thought boring...seen it before. They don't always tell you now in the listings whether its a repeat, I've been conned a few times that way.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2006, 20:37:27 »
Mmmm.. you could be right Tim. Take care Robert.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2006, 20:45:26 »
I will, though I'd have thought she'd have sued me before now if she was going to. Maybe I should have done her, but I had enough to cope with at the time without that.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2006, 16:06:35 »
Well the programme seems to have done some good @ our allotment site and inspired at least 5 new tenants to take up plots  ;D

They all seem really enthusiastic (and let's face it ... if they're staying in on a Friday night to watch Gardener's World instead of going to the pub then they're half way there  ;D )

I've just bought the Victorian Kitchen Garden DVD on recommendation from you guys/gals as well, so that's what I'll be doing for the next few Friday nights.

Who would have thought that I was a 'Club/Pub Diva' 10 yrs ago ... running my own pub and club and REJOICING in the fact that everyone on the pub scene recognised me! Now I'm happy enough in the fact that everyone on our allotment site knows me and we have no 'gate/door policy'  ;D

And Robert: I 'vaguely' know the circumstances surrounding which you recently posted about the characters that appeared on the Gardener's World Special .. but to be frank, I think your postings were a little harsh.

Even Emily on Coronation Street forgave the bloke that murdered her husband Ernest during an armed robbery, despite a 'rocky' moment in her faith of God!!!!!!

'Vitriol' will always rear its head in the wonderful world of allotments when such a mixture of people from different backgrounds come together to work the land. But I think we've got enough 'vitriol' between us all to direct it at slugs, snails, carrot-fly and greenfly for a better outcome  ;)

Bright Blessings!

Trixiebelle X
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2006, 16:19:55 »
I have just read this thread and i am shocked and appalled at remarks made by Robert Brenchly and you being a man of God shocks me even more.  We all have to meet our maker someday and he alone will decide.
He who cast the first stone comes to mind R B.

About the programme great stuff i saw it the first time around glad you all enjoyed it, cannot wait until we can get going again.  I love to see things popping through the earth this time of year it heralds a new beginning,  WONDERFUL.
cheers enjoy your gardening.  Rosebud.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2006, 17:41:36 »
Hey Rosebud! Chill!
He's got to get it off his chest somewhere. He's amongst friends here .... isn't he? :-\

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2006, 18:02:05 »
:-\

Think Tims wise words should be listened to...the web is a wonderful thing!!

;)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2006, 18:19:59 »
The programme certainly started off yet another research project for me  ...

As it was so horrid outside this morning spent an extra hour in bed reading Joy Larkom ... ;)

have been reading up on green manure ...  now all I have to do is to work out where to shoe-horn it into the plan   :o

certainly fancy growing Phacelia   ...  has anyone got any seed I could try?   ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2006, 18:24:53 »
Well done, ma'am - for changing the subject.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2006, 18:56:26 »
;D ;D ;D

at your service Sire!

;D ;D ;D
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2006, 19:26:24 »
The programme certainly started off yet another research project for me  ...

As it was so horrid outside this morning spent an extra hour in bed reading Joy Larkom ... ;)

have been reading up on green manure ...  now all I have to do is to work out where to shoe-horn it into the plan   :o

certainly fancy growing Phacelia   ...  has anyone got any seed I could try?   ;D

Haven't got any seeds left from what I grew last year but i can certainly recommend it. OK, I left it in too long and let it flower but was glad I did 'cos the bees absolutely loved it - never seen so many of them.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2006, 20:03:18 »
You may be shocked by what I said, but I think you'd be pretty shocked yourself if you were arrested on suspicion of stealing your own property, at the instigation of someone who was persistently taking stuff from your plot! Anyway, I'll delete the post, since some of you object so strongly.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2006, 21:13:47 »
I'll delete the post, since some of you object so strongly.

Thank you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal