Author Topic: Gardeners' World special  (Read 13887 times)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Gardeners' World special
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2006, 21:47:58 »
It was nice to see the gate of my plot on the Guinea Gardens, if nothing more; it was filmed during the thefts, and of course they didn't tell me it was happening.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 20:05:29 by Robert_Brenchley »

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2006, 22:06:23 »
I wondered whilst i was watcing if anyone here has a plot on any of the sites features.

There's another thread running on this topic in 'NEWS'  

So am going to repeat myself. But i really enjoyed the program  I hadn't seen it before.. It would have been good to see an average alllotment (if one exists) or a family plot.  My 6 year old son watched it with me and he was fascinated by the lady dying her clothes.

Can't wait to get back to the plot,

Pakaba

Pakaba
reduce, re-use, recycle.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2006, 22:20:02 »
>:( bugger >:( I have "post it" labels all over my monitor to remind me to watch it ::) and missed it :'( Bugger damn shoot ;D

dingerbell

• Half Acre
  • A very productive morning
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2006, 23:09:11 »
I must be one of the few who missed it first time around. as mentioned, very little in the way of helful hints apart from that lady's demon Gooseberry and Gunness punch. Oh and the bit about earthing up carrots. My wife left the room to play cards on the computer....she thinks I'm a bit barmy, but you all know that we're all the only really sane people on this planet ;D

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2006, 23:27:14 »
I really enjoyed the program.

mat

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2006, 09:10:34 »
Awwww....lovely prog. My allotment is on a tiny 16 plot site in a village.... Don't think anyone knows about the no hose pipe thing. I'm sure I'm the only person that uses a can and that's mainly cause I'm SO far from the tap that a hose pipe would have to be stupidly long to use at all! Made me want to go and dig, but ground like perma frost and clay so no can do....will play with my leek seedlings instead.  ;D

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2006, 09:35:12 »
What a great program, enjoyed it first time round and this time round aswell! Monty is clearly at his best around vegetables and allotments!!!

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2006, 09:54:43 »
I saw it for the first time and really enjoyed it. Made me inspired to get out and dig, but rather depressed at how far we've got to go to reach the standards there- roll on retirement! Shame the ground's covered in snow today!It was good to see a young couple winning the show, but a pity we hadn't seen their allotment (unless I missed it!)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2006, 10:09:46 »
It was very noticeable on my site that they only filmed on the most weed-free and cosmetic plots. That's a pity because it doesn't give a terue picture of the site. We have a few people who manage to do a brilliant job of cultivating their whole plot, but double-size plots with hedges are a massive amount of work, and a lot of people only cultivate part. A programme dealing with methods of coping with all that work would be a lot more valuable; there are loads of ways to manage it, but it takes several years to pick them up, and by that time a lot of people will have given up.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2006, 10:14:49 »
which is exactly why we need a Part 2 !   ;D
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2006, 10:21:33 »
when i watched it i found i needed a really good reason to go to work 430 this morning !!! :-\
another member of i forgot my password

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2006, 10:48:36 »
I really enjoyed it, especially as I'm from Birmingham myself, and missed it the first time round. :(
Have passed the Guinea Gardens myself on the train every week, and had often wondered why they looked so different from the rest of the Allotment sites in Birmingham.  Now I know why!  ;D

I'm easily pleased I know, but I agree that most people with allotments or growing veg could do with a series on the BBC, similar to ITV's series "The Allotment".  I haven't been able to borrow it, but I've read on other posts there were loads of hints and tips.

Don't know if anybody else has watched it, but I've borrowed a 2 DVD set of "The Victorian Kitchen Garden" which was shown on the Beeb nearly 20 years ago which is fascinating stuff, especially listening to the old ex-Head Gardener, Harry Dobson! ;D
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2006, 10:57:31 »
;D

I have the book from"The Victorian Kitchen Garden" and watched every one of the programmes!! My favourite moment was Harry explaining something about peaches, he said "..when the leaves are about the size of a mouses ear.." as if everyone would know how big that was!! It was full of lovely shots of the huge glasshouse and lots of info about fruit and veg which was great.
Can you tell? I was a HUGE fan!!!

;)

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2006, 16:50:05 »
Not so pleasant was to see the Kleptomaniac rabbiting on
youcant leave us hanging there robert!!!
whats she get up to then?
 ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2006, 18:59:58 »
well that's blown my image of a lottie being a wee community !  ever since taking up this lovely hobby last year, i've been safe in my bubble thinking this was a very pleasant thing to do and very positive.

it's quite depressing to know that even in my world of idyllic escape, there are people that would do badly by others.

is no-where safe ?

very sad.
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2006, 19:30:12 »
They're normally OK. The problem with any small community, whether it's a community association, allotment site, church, what it is, that's run by volunteers is that if you're not careful it can be taken over by bullying nutters who just want power. The price of freedom is eternal vigilance, and sometimes people get carelss.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 19:38:44 by Robert_Brenchley »

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2006, 19:56:48 »
MutantHobbit is it still possable to get The Victorian Kitchen Garden on dvd and if so does anybody know where to get it, I remember it being a fascinating programme
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 21:02:38 by supersprout »

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2006, 20:44:08 »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ooooooooh thanks s/sprout!!!! Didn't even occur to me that you can still get it!! Will be making online purchase smartish!!!!

;)

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2006, 20:58:08 »
And 'Tales from the Green Valley' too. The wife's away and I've got the joint account card ;D

P.S.

I'd be surprised if Sarah Raven's clothes were cheap, it takes money to look scruffy like that.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal