Author Topic: Problem using this website  (Read 2073 times)

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
Problem using this website
« on: February 22, 2006, 19:14:17 »
Hi, I'd be very grateful for any help, as this problem is driving me a bit mad.

I'm having trouble using this A4A website when clicking on links... up pops a warning that reads:

"Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.
Please tell Microsoft about this problem.
We have created an error report that you can send to help us improve Internet Explorer. We will treat this report as confidential and anonymous.

To see what data this error report contains, click here.

Send Error Report     Don’t Send"

Whether I click on 'send error report' or 'don't send', it closes the browser completely and I have to start again. I can't minimize the warning and just carry on either. This happens every time I click on a link someone has posted in a message, or if I try to access the Chat room from the left hand side of the mainpage. The only way to access the Chat room is to click on my member name and then the small Chat icon along the top of the page. I also can't click on anyone's profiles.
BUT, this problem only seems to happen from the early evening onwards. During the day it was fine, and exactly the same thing happened yesterday, as soon as it got to be later in the evening, it started again.
  It's very annoying as I keep having to open a new browser and come back to the site and then somehow find where I was again in the forum!
I should add, I don't have this problem with any other website, just A4A.

Help desperately wanted!

Many thanks,

CC

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: Problem using this website
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 22:01:10 »
Couple of suggestions.
One: is your browser the most up-to-date version?  If not, try upgrading.
Two: have you been running your machine all day? It is possible that you're running out of memory - try re-starting (from a power-down) and then coming to the site

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 22:13:16 »
Hi Rosa_Mundi,

When you say to try re-starting from a 'power-down', is that the same thing as just turning it off and then turning it on again, or is it something to do with starting it up in safe mode or something? I've just tried turning the whole thing off and then starting again but the same problem. We're ok for memory and up to date with the browser version.
  It strikes me as very unusual as I have no problem with any other websites, (including those I've never visited before) it's just this one site.
I think I'm probably the only one with this problem though, very strange.  ???

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 22:56:37 »
No your not the only one with this problem, I get it too , but usually around 12noon. I thought it was something to do with BT internet.   
I usually say a few f**** words, threaten to drop kick the computer across the yard, then go outside and do some gardening till I calm down.

I blame BT for everything that goes wrong in my life (how sad am I?) ;D ;D ;D

If you find the solution please share, thanks :)
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 23:30:02 »
Hmmm ...

Does not sound very good.

Common_Clay, scotch-mist could you let me know what browser (internet explorer, firefox etc) / operating system (windows XP, 98, 2000, apple stuff, linux, etc) you are using.

Cheers

Dan

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 01:45:00 »
Ooer Scotch-mist, looks like you could be on to something there, we also have BT Internet, just never for a second thought it would be that.

Dan, I am using Internet Explorer as my browser and Windows XP as my operating system.
I have just tried to open the Chat room using Mozilla browser instead, and it did not give me any warning messages and took me to the page with the Chat window... BUT, the window for chatting in remained completely blank, even though it said the word 'chat' above it.
Thanks,

CC

scotch-mist

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 13:08:52 »
Dan, I also use internet explorer and have windows xp, I also get a message that 
I have been timed out (whatever that means) when I try to reply to a posting, sometimes I lose the reply and then get the same message as CC, I click the back arrow in the top left hand side of my screen and sometimes I am lucky and can post the message , most times I have to log on to A4A all over again .

hope this helps solve it thanks
UNDER PRESSURE (constantly)

Diesel

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 11:12:37 »
Clay the problem you were having with the chat room may be caused by your Java settings in firefox.Look in tools>>options>>content.There should be some Java settings in there that will need enabled if they arent already.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2006, 17:58:18 »
I get the same thing not infrequently.

Diesel

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2006, 18:46:24 »

Common_Clay

• Acre
  • Loved
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 02:05:16 »
Thanks Diesel, will definately have a look at this when it's not just gone past 2am! Maybe there's a similar 'rule' within IE that I could also look for.  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal