Author Topic: Cloches/Polytunnels  (Read 2375 times)

ThomsonAS

• Quarter Acre
Cloches/Polytunnels
« on: February 26, 2006, 21:55:42 »
Anyone know cheap sources of poly tunnels or other ways of warming a row of soil.? The price of what I've seen seems pretty stepp for materials that can only cost a few pence.

cheers

Alastair

PS First post having lurked around for a week or so!

peterpiper

• Not So New ...
Re: Cloches/Polytunnels
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2006, 22:01:12 »
lidles this coming thursday are selling cloches. I purchased some last year they withstood a few gales. .
i will be buying some more

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2006, 23:21:58 »
Hello Alistair :)......look in 'News' - we're all getting excited about the cheap poly tunnels at Poundland.......at er........er.........£1 each! 1.5m long x 34cm x 42cm. I bought five today  ;D Good luck! - Lishka

ThomsonAS

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 19:16:15 »
Alas Poundland don't reach as far as my bit of the midlands!

I read the Scavenging bulletins elsewhere with interest - if anyone can identify a source of 'thrownaway' clear plasic sheeting do share! (since 'harvesting' copious quantities of broken glass for my plot on '05 - my first year i'm reluctant to sow more of that!)

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 21:56:49 »
Hi ThomsonAS.
In the past I've used alkathene pipe bent into hoops and covered with clear plastic sheet from the builder's merchant (cheap). Alkathene is illegal now I believe, but the water companies use something very similar. Would it be worth your scouting round a nearby near-completed housing development for some ends? The stuff they use round here is bright blue and doesn't take much spotting as you pass. It's a bit too rigid for anything much less than a 4ft bed width though.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

MrsKP

• Hectare
  • Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2006, 22:27:37 »
bessie mate, divan and bath donator was round tonight discussing the merits of scavenging.  he's a gas man by trade, and currently doing up his own house.  i've warned him that i want as many offcuts of copper pipe (anti slug device) that he can spare and he's about to buy (well i thought he said) Alkathene !   :o

i said i was wanting some for my polytunnel hoops and as he's buying about a 20m roll, i said i'd chip in.  i'm hoping my rather flimsy polythene will last at least one season if doubled up and i don't think it will keep out too much light.

Welcome aboard Alastair!
There's something happening every day  @ http://kaypeesplot.blogspot.com/ & http://kaypeeslottie.blogspot.com/

glow777

• Hectare
  • up in the hills in Buxton
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2006, 23:06:02 »
If you can get the polythene the hoops are easy enough to make.

Just get some 6' canes and cut in half, push two canes into the ground opposite each other until about 1' sticks out. Get some cheap hosepie cut into lengths and slide an end over each cane. Repeat for each rib (about every 3'). Throw plastic over and secure whichever way you can.

ThomsonAS

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 22:48:11 »
Ta for advice and observations. In the absence of Poundland, I'll be hitting the local Lidl shortly!

amphibian

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2006, 11:26:23 »
Ta for advice and observations. In the absence of Poundland, I'll be hitting the local Lidl shortly!

Be quick, mine sold out in half a day.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal