Author Topic: Container growing  (Read 1403 times)

Jennys Gran

• Not So New ...
Container growing
« on: February 23, 2006, 08:54:15 »
I am attempting to grow most of my crops in containers. I have Carrot seeds (Nates Frubund) can anyone help with advice regading the size of containers I would need and soil preparation?

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Re: Container growing
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 09:49:24 »
Try the wiki, methods of cultivation, container gardening.

Sorry just noticed you are new. First off welcome.

If you look at the top of the page just under the A4A title you will notice a row of buttons, one of these buttons is marked wiki.  Click on this button and it will take you to the wiki.  On the contents list in the wiki you will see ' methods of cultivation ' click on this,  then click on ' container gardening '

Any problems just ask

MikeB
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 09:55:48 by MikeB »

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 10:07:06 »
First time using the wiki for me too, it looks like it will be a mine of information as it grows.

I have never tried growing carrots in pots but can tentatively offer the following comments. Carrots need depth since the root is much longer than the actual edible portion, therefore a deep pot is preferable. Secondly carrots do not appreciate rich soil as they tend to fork, therefore soil from manured ground should be avoided. Perhaps depleted compost mixed in? I am not sure on this but it might open up some interesting comments.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2006, 10:25:42 »
Secondly carrots do not appreciate rich soil as they tend to fork,
I think you will find that they do like rich soils BUT not recently (i.e. in the last year) manured soil.

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 10:31:10 »
Ahh, a subtle detail, but important. Thank you Mike.

Jennys Gran

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 10:33:15 »
Hi MikeB,
Thanks for the info on the Wiki, exploring the info there should keep me quite for a while, lots of info for me to read through.

Hi Curry,
Thanks for the the info on the roots, I may have to rethink this one.

Any other advice is appreciated as the only planting & growing I have done previously is to put the plant in the ground, water & hope it grows (not always very successful).

Jennys Gran

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 11:45:38 »
I see you've already got your seeds & I don't recognise the variety ( new to carrots myself) but I know there are some varieties which are round & stubby rather than long and thin.  They might be better for containers...  Just checked - Parmex is one of the stubbies.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 11:50:52 »
Nantes frubund ...

http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/336/1

Be aware Jenny's Gran, that these are listed as an autumn sowing variety, and therefore may not be very successful for spring sowing. I would suggest a straight Nantes or other stump rooted variety for container growing, and save your frubund seed for over winter growth (and make us jealous by harvesting fresh carrots in the spring).

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 12:28:38 »
Carrots in pots work very well and I do some each year, starting in October and sowing under cover. I sow a pot every 2 weeks or so through to February.

I use Early Nantes and standard multipurpose compost in 8" pots that are about 10" deep.

Sow very thickly and then cover with a fine layer of compost and water in. Germination can be a bit slow. Keep the compost just barely damp.

Pull the carrots when small and very sweet. I get my first picking in early April if I am lucky. There is no need to peel them, just wash them and pop them in the pan to cook or eat raw.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal