Author Topic: Lambs  (Read 1582 times)

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Lambs
« on: March 04, 2006, 22:10:37 »
Here are the first lambs I have seen around here.  This was before the cold weather came, hope they are OK! 

Palustris

• Hectare
Re: Lambs
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2006, 22:15:36 »
Much later than here, I photgraphed some at the beginning of January.
mmmm mint sauce!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 22:39:23 »
Think a lot of Farmers  have the lambs indoors nowadays.  At least they do around here.  The farmer in the village  'home farm' breeds Jacob sheep and he lambs in December.  I haven't seen them outdoors yet.  Lambing season doesnt really get going or the end of this month tho.   :D :D

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2006, 23:07:24 »
Most breeds naturally lamb from March/April; due to the fact they have a 4.5 month pregnancy and most ewes are not in season until October/November.  Hill breeds naturally come into season later; probably natural selection, so the lambs are born into milder climates...  However as Carol has said, many farmers lamb indoors now, as it is "warmer" for the humans and lambs... However there is more disease indoors.  A few breeds can come into season earlier (some as early as Sept and a couple of breeds can lamb any time of the year)

Some farmers now lamb earlier (Dec-Feb) so their lambs can catch the earlier market, especially Easter, when the farmers are aiming to sell; as the prices are higher (normally prices are very low)  In order to sell at Easter, you need to lamb in Dec/Jan and house indoors for the whole of the lambs life (they generally have loads of room, so don't think of continental veal) 

To watch the lambs twice daily game of "tag", is something everyone ought to watch at least once.  Basically when the ewes are fed concentrates, the lambs are have the freedom from their mums and have loads of room, so they use the space and freedom to run along the length of the enclosures, until someone catches the first lamb, when they turn on their heels and try to catch the lamb now at the front (who was at the back - I hope this makes sense)  All lambs I have known do this, at feeding time, whether indoors or outdoors; and they can get up to quite some speed; I used to sometimes call it the lamb grand national...  I have forgotten the age at which lamsb stop this, but they all seem to stop at roughly the same age, probably when they become less agile! I think it was at about 12 weeks.

My parents kept a few sheep (keep the grass down and for the freezer) from when I was about 13-21.  I also used to work with various breeds of sheep at various locations (with August, Dec, Jan and April lambings!!!) until I became affected by organophospahtes...  I now dream of owning my own land and sheep, but in the meantime have to make do with my new lottie and my mundane IT job!!!

mat

Carol

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 23:57:57 »
You sound like a shepherd Mat.  Come up here to Border country and do a spot of lambing!!  The farmers are always on the look out for folk like you at this time of year.
Its hard to believe its now 5 years since the Foot and Mouth outbreak.  I will never forget it.  It was awful seeing the large trucks leaving my village with the local sheep and their lambs.  It was a sad sight.  Such a waste...... :'( :'( :'( :'(

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 00:08:12 »
haven't seen any lambs yet :(
nice pic C :)
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 09:12:57 »
I posted a picture of an outdoor lamb on January 12th. this year. There were about half a dozen in the field.
I remember sitting in a railway carriage, stopped just outside the station on the Mawddach Estuary and watching a sheep giving birth in a field next  to the line. Sadly the train moved off before the lamb got up.
Another experience everyone should have is bottle feeding a rejected lamb.
Gardening is the great leveller.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2006, 09:20:03 »
You sound like a shepherd Mat.  Come up here to Border country and do a spot of lambing!!  The farmers are always on the look out for folk like you at this time of year.
Its hard to believe its now 5 years since the Foot and Mouth outbreak.  I will never forget it.  It was awful seeing the large trucks leaving my village with the local sheep and their lambs.  It was a sad sight.  Such a waste...... :'( :'( :'( :'(

I was Carol, and I loved it, and my small hands were excellent in untangling triplets and quads (The Lleyn's are prolific and can naturally lamb early!) or opening up an  undilated cervix... (women on here start to cringe  ::))  I really loved being in agriculture and was gutted when I had to leave, but I dream of when I'll be able to have my own one day. 

Foot and mouth...  the farm I worked on on the Hereford/Worcester border lost their entire pedigree Lleyn flcok built up over 50 years.  I was very sad when I found out.  The lady on the estate whom I keep in contact with will never forget driving past a field to see the whole lot being shot... (It was her husband who had started the flock 50 yrs previously)  They are building it back up again, after receiving stock from their pedigree (from people they had sold to) after F&M.

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 14:19:44 »
Beautiful pic Carol  :)

I'd love to keep Jacobs but I think out Allotment Officer would have something to say about it!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal