Author Topic: Blueberries - Help needed on soil conditions  (Read 1762 times)

davetedd

• Not So New ...
Blueberries - Help needed on soil conditions
« on: February 14, 2006, 11:47:10 »
We are thinking of trying blueberries on our west sussex allotment.Can anyone advise on the best soil conditions? Thanks

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Blueberries - Help needed on soil conditions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 12:05:16 »
They need acid soil and like it fairly moist but not sodden.  I have two varieties (helps pollination so you get more fruit) in pots of ericaceous compost as my garden is alkaline.  They get occasional doses of tomato fertiliser and a handful or two of pelletd chicken manure each spring.  The fruit is luscious, the flowers are pretty and the autumn foliage a glorious red.  Even in winter the new tips on the stems have a reddish glow.
Obxx - Vendée France

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 13:34:50 »
I second all of that.

Also, one of the varieties I'm growing is Patriot, which is more cold/frost tolerant than most.

Grow more than one cultivar to ensure pollination.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 16:09:04 »
One of mine is Berkeley.  I've lost the label on the other.  Both live outside all year on the north side of the house and my winters regularly have periods down to -15C with occasional -20C with added wind chill factor so I wouldn't worry too much about frost damage.
Obxx - Vendée France

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 16:37:56 »
I've had a trio in pots for years - my oldest pair really need chopping right down so they can regenerate new stems from the base but I've never had the heart. But it will happen this year as I've every intention of moving them to the lottie and sinking the pots into the ground.  They're supposed to be pruned like blackcurrants!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 19:42:54 »
Do you have greensand as we do in parts of Surrey?

They like acid sand - which is what greensand is.

The woodlands around Leith Hill Tower which is part of the area where I work is full of blueberries growing wild. So thick you have a job to walk in them :o

davetedd

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 16:32:44 »
Many thanks for all your helpful replies. After due consideration we have decided to start by planting raspberries this year and will try blueberries later on.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal