Author Topic: Attracting hedgehogs  (Read 2353 times)

robynsgarden

• Not So New ...
Attracting hedgehogs
« on: June 18, 2006, 17:46:38 »
Does anyone know if I can attract hedgehogs to my garden?

I have lots of wildlife here, frog, bats, bees, lots of birds including a woodpecker and an owl (don't know what type because we've only heard him).

I'd really like to attract a hedgehog (or a family) to help with the slugs, we live on the edge of a village near lots of open fields. Would an animal sanctuary that had some to release maybe release them near my house if I asked and took steps to look after them?

janet h 1948

• Quarter Acre
Re: Attracting hedgehogs
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2006, 20:28:54 »
You might have them already. Look for HH poo. It looks like a squeeze of toothpaste but black. I've had them for years now. I leave a bowl of sunflower hearts mixed with chopped peanuts (whole ones can get stuck on roof of their mouths). Also a bowl of vitacraft HH food & a big bowl of water. They drink lots. Please don't ever put milk out. It realy upsets their tums. They also eat cat & dog food, not fish types. I put all the food stuffs under our carport to keep it dry. One night last summer I had 5 passing through.
I also have a HH house in the garden, (uninhabited as it's resident was run over last november). I hope  another will make it a home soon.
HTH>

Juliet

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2006, 21:22:27 »
Hi Janet, fancy seeing you here!

Robynsgarden - you might find this site helpful, especially this page:  http://www.thehedgehog.co.uk/garden.htm

Other than that, everything Janet says is good advice.  If you're going to feed them, though, make sure you keep feeding them, as they'll start to rely on it.

robynsgarden

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 17:18:44 »
Thankyou for the advice and the website link. I'll have a read up on attracting them and see how it goes

Robyn

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal