Author Topic: Please, Please, Please if you havn't do it now!!!  (Read 4381 times)

joji

• Hectare
Please, Please, Please if you havn't do it now!!!
« on: February 21, 2006, 13:15:33 »
If you have not got your dog micro chipped please get it done. 150 dogs are getting stolen every day in the UK and not many are getting found because of the fact that there is no way of ID' ing them.

Don't think that your cross breed won't get taken because it will if these people want your money. Dogs are now getting stolen by drug users and other nasty people and holding dogs to ransom.

I would like to see everyone on A4A  get there dogs microchipped so that none of my friends on here go through the pain of having to find there dog stolen and not found.

So if your dog isn't microchipped please, please, please do it as soon as you can.

Thanks Joji ( Jill )
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 15:46:47 by joji »

flower

• Half Acre
  • loves music almost as much as plants
Re: Please, Please, Please if you havn't do it now!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 18:03:01 »
may i add to that the cost of microchipping is only 20 quid and many councils run schemes with vets to halve that cost
i am an angel really honest  wink wink

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 10:43:54 »
Well said!

It really does make sense to get your dog microchipped. It doesn't cause any pain to the dog either.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 13:31:26 »
We lost one of our cats last summer and now have heard of three others that went missing the same time so we have had the other one chipped too and I recommend anyone to get it done.  Phoning round all the vets, rescue centres etc everyone asked if he was chipped.  I hadn't bothered before but losing the one cat was enough to prompt me to get it done.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 18:18:15 »
Such sound advice Joji. Elsa was micro chipped as a young puppy.Mind you Tora when you say no pain Elsa yelped so loud all the people in the waiting room looked up (I asked Lorna jnr to take her in for me) She is a real drama queen or maybe the vet wasn't very good at putting the needle in.. At least the owners who care know they have done everything to protect their dog.

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 00:04:38 »
I've heard its very painful for them to have it done, I've known a few dog owners who say their pets really yelped. Thieves wouldn't take the dog to the vet so you wouldn't get it back that way, only if it was sold on to someone caring. A real difficult dilemma. :-\
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 11:41:08 »
all off mydogs are micro chipped and i am getting my young puppy tattooed

if you have read my thred about a border collie who was now stolon the owner got her back as she was chipped and tattooed

do it now or be sorry later sorry but it is true

waggi

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 13:36:09 »
My cat is chipped. Wehn I asked the vet if it was worth doing as I had heard that pedigree cats get stolen, he said there wasn't a great deal of that going around.  However should someone take a fancy to him (he is pretty as he is all grey) you are able to claim ownership if you have to take them to court.  Also should the worst happen and he is hit by a car and taken to the vets they can reunite him with you.  He did yowl when he had it done but it only hurt for a short time and doesn't bother him at all.
Get with the beat Baggy

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 15:54:21 »
Our cats were chipped before we got them as rescue kittens. When one was knocked down & taken to the RSPCA hospital (where we saw Rolf!!) they were able to re-unite us.

flowerofshona

• Half Acre
  • Life is a lottie
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 16:04:25 »
I breed labradors (one litter every 2 years ! ) and all the puppys are micro chipped before they go to there new homes, if this was done by all breeders it would save alot of heart ache, and the cost is only £10 each when done as a litter so cost cant be an excuse !!!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2006, 19:17:08 »
Ah flowershona best breed ever IMHO. Won't say it out loud, don't want to upset Elsa , King Charles Cavalier. Was a bit worried about having another lab due to Charlie being very unsteady on his feet but this little pest has been more trouble than  the labs I had. Still I love her loads!!

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2006, 19:21:13 »
My boys are both tatooed.  I didn't want them microchipped as I have heard some adverse stories about it.  Saw a programme on TV once about a lost dog who could not be identified as they could not find the chip.   Apparently it had moved around his body so much that they could not trace it.  Strange :-\  Luckily, they did manage to reunite him with his owner, but not due to the microchip.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2006, 09:21:34 »
cost is £25 to have one microchipped, I'm still not sure , we keep asking everyone and the vet.We never ever let them out of our sight, so can't see the benefit to her having the pain.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2006, 10:37:59 »
We have loopy Suzy microchipped but not her sensible mum Sophie who never leaves our sides.

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2006, 11:18:08 »
The pain is hardley none at all

all my dogs have had it done and even the wose meg just shruged it off

it is done with a kind off hypo neddle so it is just a quick jab

even if the dog does not leave your side it does not stop her getting lost or you being followed and then being stollon

my freinds dog eva is a obedeince and show dog so she is very obedeant but that did not stop someone following eva and her mum and when she ran a little bit away

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2006, 11:19:59 »
Sophie's mum was best of breed in the Gundogs at Crufts. Which reminds me: are gundogs not on TV tonight?

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2006, 11:26:24 »
Saw a programme on TV once about a lost dog who could not be identified as they could not find the chip.   Apparently it had moved around his body so much that they could not trace it.  Strange :-\  Luckily, they did manage to reunite him with his owner, but not due to the microchip.

The chip can move around underneath the skin and according to the vet will not be harmful to the dog.  My dog's chip was inserted into the back of the neck and after a few months found its way round to the front of the shoulder where it has been for about 5 years.  I often wonder if she was lost whether anyone would check for a chip at the front of a dog.  

The vet certainly isn't concerned about the location of the chip but if Meggie has to have a general anaesthetic for any reason, I will ask them to take it out and put it back in the right place.  The only thing is that her Passport shows the location as being at the front but maybe that could be altered.

Having read about Eva (see "Urgent Missing BC" thread), I am certainly being more cautious about letting Meggie out into the garden on her own.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2006, 11:52:39 »
Sophie's mum was best of breed in the Gundogs at Crufts. Which reminds me: are gundogs not on TV tonight?

They should be graw, my friends are at Crufts in the morning showing their Welsh Springer. If he gets placed in his class he will be doing very well  ;D

Val

• Hectare
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2006, 16:40:06 »
hmm yes I can perhaps see the sense in a show dog, I think it must depend on where you live and walk them too, don't see how she can get lost by our side ;D ;Dbut yes I do take your point, she did go in our neighbours cat flap whist we were talking and ate the cat food, so it is possible. I can't justify the pain to her though, we haven't had the oldest dog chipped..well we have, Chip is her name ;D ;D but I'll talk to the vet again when we take her to get spayed, he could probably do it whilst she's having that done but I'm not convinced its worth it for her.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2006, 17:43:48 »
Ermm Val don't you think getting spayed might be a wee bit painful too? ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal