Author Topic: are my seedlings too leggy?  (Read 1427 times)

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
are my seedlings too leggy?
« on: February 21, 2006, 10:01:25 »
I have cauli, cabbage etc, growing in an unheated propagator, they are about 2-3 inches long and the weight of the tiny leaves seems to be weighing them down ... should I 'compost' them up (ie like earthing up but with potting compost) or move them into pots and cover up the stems somewhat
I will finish it, one day

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
Re: are my seedlings too leggy?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 10:35:52 »
Hi Larry, a few things, how old are the seedlings,(when did you plant them)
do you still have the clear plastic lid on or over the trays/pots,or no lid on,
 is the air vent open or closed, is the propagator in sunlight, or just on a table in a room,
have you pricked them out, have they a fungal problem (look for a brownring around the stem-and a white fungus) caused by to much water,
can you please give us more info
thanks
windy ;)
my allotment
heaven

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 11:09:14 »
seedlings are couple of weeks old - in open topped propagator on sunny windowsill. I have a propagator with lid on that has other same age cabbage seeds, similar problem: I'm putting them outside with vents open during day.
No browning. Knowing me it;s feast or famine with the water. at the moment they look plenty wet enough
I will finish it, one day

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 13:42:20 »
Hi Larry, to much water will cause the problem, try to allow the plants to dry out, re-pot then into individual 3" pots placing the compost half way up the stem, place onto a sunny windowsill and see how they go, hopefully somebody will give you more advice if this does not work,
all the best,
windy ;)
my allotment
heaven

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal