Author Topic: Muck Spreading  (Read 1375 times)

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
Muck Spreading
« on: February 18, 2006, 21:19:09 »
I have been spreading FY Manure today on top on previously tilled soil and was wondering if there is a set amount that should be spread? I don't want to be mean with it also I don't want to waste the stuff unecessarily, plus too much may be bad? or not enough being a waste of time? ???

I have been covering the soil with dollops or fork loads and tilling it in, what's your thang? ;D

boris

• Quarter Acre
  • Hhmmm, let me think
Re: Muck Spreading
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 21:49:33 »
I just stand by the HEAP with a shovel and fling it everywhere. Don't bother digging it in (too lazy really)  Don't think you can spread too much, though,  the more the merrier.

Seems to work ok.
Still thinking

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 14:23:02 »
I know nothing about muck spreading (altho love to see it when it's done & I like the smell ::))...but Boris - you say

Don't bother digging it in

is it ok then to plant or sow things straight into it??....surely it's all too chunky/lumpy or sticky??.....other than maybe potatoes - surely the ground has to be 'broken down' a bit and have a finer tilth to it?

or does it depend on what's being grown?

Dan 2

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 17:25:41 »
LOADS!!!!!!

christine

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 17:38:12 »
Roy, if you want the figures, here they are from J Larkcom -

on poor soils, at least 5.5 kg per sq m (10 lbs per sq yd)

on other soils, about 2.75 kg per sq m (5 lbs per sq yd)

Remember to take the scales and a tape measure with you......    :D

boris

• Quarter Acre
  • Hhmmm, let me think
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 20:23:34 »
I know nothing about muck spreading (altho love to see it when it's done & I like the smell ::))...but Boris - you say

Don't bother digging it in

is it ok then to plant or sow things straight into it??....surely it's all too chunky/lumpy or sticky??.....other than maybe potatoes - surely the ground has to be 'broken down' a bit and have a finer tilth to it?

or does it depend on what's being grown?

Mine has been standing around for about 6 months, so it's not too ripe or too chunky.
I like to let the worms do as much of my work as possible.  But you're right, I do give everything a good rake, certainly before sowing seeds directly.
I did dig in a spade full of muck underneath my courgette plants last year and they seemed to enjoy that.
Still thinking

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 20:51:09 »
Courgettes are something you can grow straight into it -even fresh(ish). I've grown them and other squash straight in the manure pile that's breaking down for the next year. You can do the same with the compost heap.

Jeremy

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 22:55:00 »
Christine, just what I needed to know, thanks, ;)  it appears then that I may have been over feeding, :o  I’ve not got my scales and tape measure to hand but my fork dollops I reckon weigh about 4.00kg (8.82lbs) and at a rate of about 6-8 dollops a sq mtr may have been a bit heavy handed. ::)

I wondered why my back ached so much. ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal