Author Topic: Bullfinch in my garden this morning  (Read 1864 times)

gunnerbee

• Hectare
Bullfinch in my garden this morning
« on: February 03, 2006, 10:30:14 »
with his mate, never had one before, he was sooo beautiful, i hope they stay!!!

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: Bullfinch in my garden this morning
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 17:02:27 »
I agree with you, they are just lovely birds.  The downside is they eat the buds off your bushes and trees.  Spose we can let them away with some... ::) but I am always pleased to see them around.

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 22:02:50 »
I'm not sure how much damage bullfinches do if there's food to their liking around. I've had a pair of bullfinches on my table for three years now; the table is right next to an apple tree. As far as I can tell, they've never touched a bud off the apple tree, or any other item in the garden, and neither have their babies in spring....

Shirley

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 15:29:12 »
I have a pair of bullfinches - yes, they are beautiful birds.  The male is certainly giving the robin some competition!  The robin has been bullying all the other birds so far, now he has met his match!

gunnerbee

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 16:19:02 »
If they nest here, (as its the first time ive seen them) do they return the next year to nest again?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 17:38:25 »
Birds that size would unlikely to live that long. They might or might not nest in the same spot; I've had great tits in the same pipe for several years, but they won't be the same individuals. They'll certainly build a new nest.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 17:01:55 »
Bullfinch visited my garden a few days ago (same day as the Wren investigated the Christmas tree - see above, 'Wren Poser' ). They are beautiful birds.

Have to say birdwatching from the study window is lovely - but not much good for work!

CLx

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal