Author Topic: Still going  (Read 2823 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Still going
« on: February 06, 2006, 21:59:55 »
The squash mountain that is!

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Still going
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2006, 23:03:24 »
Emma - is all of that edible?

it's amazing - have you been storing it indoors then?

sorry these might be daft questions but don't come into this particular thread very often as I've never grown squashes but know you always do fantastic pics. so came to look and am 'speechless' almost!...H.P.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 23:08:07 »
Yup HP, all edible!  Shame as I had to throw 6 away at the weekend as they had collapsed and gone bad!  We store them in the conservatory which seems to be the best place as it is bright and cool.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 23:10:58 »
How long would it take you to get through all that EJ? And how long do they store for without going bad?

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 23:12:04 »
Emma, They are all brilliant -  I am so jealous!  I have only one of mine left now and have been putting off using it. I am such a softy, but it is so beautiful and reminds me of  those hot summer days! ::) busy_lizzie
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 13:27:02 by Admin aka Dan »
live your days not count your years

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 23:14:55 »
Sorry I appear to have three!  Don't know how that happened?  ??? Does anyone know how I can remove two?  :-[ busy_lizzie

Luckily Dan sorted it.  Thanks Dan!!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 23:33:40 by busy_lizzie »
live your days not count your years

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 10:28:04 »
All those pumpkins and squashes look lovely EJ. We've got one little gem squash left and then it's all gone. :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 10:33:18 »
I have a neighbour who is a squash addict, and he has converted me. I am very lucky in that he finds he cannot eat a whole squash before it tends to go off, so he gives me half or whatever. Crown prince recently, I never realised what I had been missing all these years !

I don't think I will ever be able to match your impressive display though Emma !
The impossible is just a journey away ...

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 11:19:47 »
No idea why that happened BL, but they are all beauties nevertheless!  ;D

Grawrc, they will last for yonks!  There are a couple that are leftovers from autumn 2004!  No idea what they will be like on the inside though.  If the skins had hardened in the sun, and they didn't get damaged on picking and coming home, and the kids haven't used them as a defence out post for action man, then they will last for many many months.  Also, some seem to last longer than others, marrows and big courgettes seem to go soft first, followed by the more squat squash like carnival and gems.  The crown prince and 'regular' pumpkins seem to just go on and on!

Glad you like them.  See, I am a little crazy!  ;D ;D ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 19:29:32 »
Brilliant EJ !

BL that's a corker ! 

If you post directly, go back to where you added your pictures.they will be listed, click the little boxes to remove the pictures you don't want.

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 19:14:45 »
Great looking pics EJ.  How many squashes/pumpkins do you get through in a week?!
My last one is disappearing this weekend - risotto this evening, followed by roasted with dinner tomorrow.  Then it's supermarket fare I guess  :(

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 18:37:05 »
To be honest, we are lucky to use one a month.  I am the only taker where pumpkin is concerned, and altho I hide it in sauces, soups and stews, there are to many to get through.  I grow them as much for fun and decoration as I do for the table as the kids get a real kick out of harvesting them and then carrying them all into the house.  Plus they love to have a selection to carve over halloween and guy fawkes - it isn't only the monsters that get carved in our house!  The worrying thing is, I shall be sowing this years crop soon....but I plan to try melons more this year, reducing the savoury squash numbers by half..... :-\

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 18:44:02 »
Unfortunately about half my butternuts started to go mouldy and were very dry inside. Don't know if it was because I didn't 'cure' them enough in the sun before storing.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal